This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by edcarroll02, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

So basically going from one lock down to another and so on until get vaccine. 2021 will be shite too.

2. Carlsburger

Carlsburger
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

There is some amount of exemptions to this version of Level 5 [some of which suit me]. I think they will end up with Level 5+ in a few weeks, but hopefully I'm wrong.

3. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Think the government and CMO should look at their communication strategy and daily briefing about the numbers for next six weeks. Change it to a briefing maybe twice a week. I don’t watch the news often and don’t go looking for numbers but they are hard to avoid as someone put them in a Watsapp group or twitter. Give people a bit of a break from the frenzy media coverage.

bobby benitez likes this.
  4. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

There should be 1 day a week of no covid talk in the media, like what they do before a general election.
    People have a pain in their hoop with it.

5. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Sky news set up a news channel with no brexit after a couple of years of nothing but brexit.

My kids school have started showing kids rte news junior at lunch time, not sure I'm comfortable with that.

6. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Can't understand how they've come to the conclusion that golf courses have to close, if they just keep the clubhouses closed then it seems as safe an environment as humanly possible.

Tarabuses and Garrett like this.
  7. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Blame the commissioner. The prick.

8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Sheer weight of numbers I'd imagine. If you're going to allow things that are higher risk to keep operating because they're essential,then you'll have to mitigate the overall risk as best you can with restrictions to things that are lower risk.

9. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I think that is possibly it, optics of the whole thing might not be ideal.

10. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Would it not make a mockery of the 5km rule if they were to leave golf courses open?

babbsnads likes this.
  11. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

Agreed!

12. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Great suggestion mate.

You should consider putting it on twitter and linking it to MeHole and Leo - I would say that you'd quickly have thousands supporting you.

We need to think about peoples mental health, not just their physical health, so your spot on with this.

13. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I've four golf courses within 5k of me.

14. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

What about when you're playing? Would it not take you out of the 5km radius with at least a couple of them?

15. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

We're into serious semantics now! Maybe one of them would, might have a problem if I went over the back of the 7th green, could be just passed 5k.

babbsnads likes this.
  16. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Still,3 courses that you can play without ever being more than 5 km from your gaff is pretty good. Your back garden must be full of golf balls:)

17. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

If you pull out a map yourself I'm certain you'll have 2 within your own 5 k radius too Mick (granted Silogue isn't great but Elm Green isn't bad), I've just opened Google and would you believe there's actually a 5th course within my limit but none of this matters as I'm both trying to work here and golf courses are closed.

I've a pal who works greens and unfortunately for him not only do the courses have to close but he still has to go to work every day because things still need to be kept going or the course will go to sh*t!

18. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I might have the entrance to two courses within 5k mate,but I'm sure I don't have 18 holes within that range. But you're right, it's semantics and the golf courses closing is another example of the inconsistency that winds people up. I can see the logic in closing them as while the chance of spreading the virus is in that setting is low,there's still the risk and the majority of golfers don't live within 5km of the course they're a member/regular of,so its another group to be policed in regards of the 5km limit. But when you have higher risk things operating that could just as easily be deemed non essential,then its only natural golfers will deem this unfair.

On balance I think out of the "non essential" stuff,the gyms being closed will impact the most peoples mental health. I signed the petition yesterday to keep them open but there's so many things that help people's mental health,I don't envy anybody having to make those choices.

edcarroll02 likes this.
  19. Carlsburger

Carlsburger
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I just counted 11 golf courses within 5k radius of my gaff ... I don't even play golf !

20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

When this is all over I think there ends to be a conversation about the amount of golf courses in Ireland. The exchequer could make billions from a levy on golf balls:)

GaryMc and Carlsburger like this.