This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The Snooker

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Dub13, May 7, 2012.

1. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Great prog on BBC four last night about Alex Higgins, he was some buachaill.

dk.lfc likes this.
  2. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Fastest win in crucible history by Ronnie apparently, sports have a funny way of making mugs of us at times.

3. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

Nobody taking the knee here

4. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

It's routine for him to talk some headline grabbing pony I've noticed over the years come crucible week

5. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

He done a interview with Colin Murray after his game today. He said he loves playing with no crowd, as thats the way he lives his life and prefers it that way, as there is less pressure and less distractions. He seemed on top form today, and as mentioned already it was the fastest round one win in the History, so the fact he is saying he is relaxed and enjoying his snooker, doesn't bode too well for the rest of them. He v Ding should be a good game, and then Mark Williams if he wins.

6. dk.lfc

dk.lfc
    Expand Collapse

147 from Higgins

7. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Typical - 2 eurosports channels and I'm on the other one while that was knocked in. Unusual the commentators didnt know/say anything about it as it was going on. Usually theyre all over it from the 2nd red.

Selbys after getting a bit of a shock. 3-1 up at the mid session interval and playing like the 2015 vintage, his opponant (not even gonna TRY spell that) comes out after the interval and reels off the next 4 to lead 5-3 going into tonight. Thai guy is absolutely fearless, if theres a squeak he goes for it

8. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

Shi*e I just missed it.

9. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Ronnie v Ding is starting shortly. You will be glad to know I won’t be making any predictions regarding Ronnie. :D

Selby had some battle there to get through .

10. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Ronnie v Ding is a great game. Last night was good and the second session today have been good so far .

11. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

Barry Hawkin , mistaken sat in Neil Robesrtsons chair during the course of their match. Play was stopped and the referee disinfected the seat and wiped it down.
    There has been now evidence that the virus can be spread by seats.

Players at the snooker both have their hands on the table. Both the cloth and the hard surface of the table.
    They both use the same rest. The referee, who's wearing gloves, doesnt even touch it.

Some things just dont make sense and are I'll logical

12. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

I've just re read my previous post and I noticed a typo. Too late to edit.

The line should read.
    There has been NO evidence of the virus can be spread by seats.

Apologies for any confusion

13. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Think the players each have their own rest, just both kept at baulk end of the table.
    As for the cleandown after Hawkins sat in the wrong chair, I imagine that before the tournament started they sat down and agreed a list of protocols (no matter how over the top they seem) and if situation "A" happens, this is how we react. I am guessing but its sweaty hands on arm rests is what they are really cleaning?
    What bugged me more to be honest was Neil Foulds giving out lingo about the fact there was a cleanup at all. Isnt it better to spend 5 minutes and be sure about something than take that dipsticks attitude of "how dare they interrupt our game". Commentators are in a position where millions hear them and should be advocating ANYTHING that could possibly stem the spread of this awful disease - no matter how silly they find it personally.

What about the handbags between McGill and Clarke? McGill accuses Clarke of being in his sight-line a few times, which develops into "words", which leads to Clarke tweeting "you wanna dance......lets dance"
    Someone complained about Clarke doing it in the qualifiers too, so there's previous.
    Have to say though, it amuses me no end that snooker players get all distracted by someone standing still at the other end of the table, or a fly farting in the arena and get all put off because of it.
    Every bloody one of them learned the game in loud, packed smokey snooker hall. Can just imagine one of them in on a Saturday night, going round all the tables asking everyone to be quite and still while he takes his shot. Divas

Joedared likes this.
  14. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

Brilliant interview from Ronnie last night - well worth a look up for anyone who hasn't seen it.

15. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

It was a disgrace and so dis respectful

16. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

May have come across as self aggrandizing, and being derogatory towards other players, but he has a point. Look at who wins all the tournaments. Its the same names that were winning 10 years ago. Williams, Higgins, Ronnie are probably eligible for the seniors tour but are still bagging titles. Trump, Robertson, Hawkins - all been around 10 years minimum. Even the supposed "new" faces in the 1/4 finals, Maflinn is a pro since 2001, Wilson 2010, and McGill 2012.
    Jimmy White got knocked out in the final qualifying round for the televised stages , and Neal Foulds still turns up on occasion in events. These are the guys Steve Davis was beating for world titles!

I played for a few years in the Irish amateurs many moons ago, and every event was a big thing with clubs filled to overflowing with wannabe players. In the more recent past I dropped by our local club and saw the draw and format for the most recent round in the irish amateurs.....there were so few playing, there were byes all over the place. If thats the trend world wide (except China it seems) I dont think Ronnie, Trump or the rest of the old guard have much to worry about and will continue to dominate the game for as long as they want

Fran74 and Shane_90 like this.
  17. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

All valid points for commentators of the sport to make but not Ronnie. Just because he's a "character" doesn't make what he said any less disrespectful. He just came across as a dick imo.

18. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

He said hed need to lose an arm and a leg to lose to some of the current crop.
    That maybe the case. But to come out and say it in public is dis respectful to his fellow pros.
    He said he doesnt have fun playing. He doesnt like Sheffield. Doesnt like interacting with the crowds. Yet he says needs the fans.
    Hes a good snooker player. Wouldn't class him as a character.

19. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Fancies himself as a bit of a Liam Gallagher does Ronnie...

20. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Quiet the opposite I would say. Loves to lead a quiet life and doesn’t like going out. Prefers to stick to himself and hates doing the interviews etc . Liam on the other hand loves the lime light .