This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Coronavirus effect on Sports

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Dub13, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Looks like everything off for the next few weeks anyway, now the next stage is when will things start again..? Who will want to be first out of the blocks.

2. sligo fan

sligo fan
    Expand Collapse

Just hoping we do get started again

3. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Euro's postponed till 2021

Stevie S likes this.
  4. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

This is very good news indeed for us, no reason why we shouldn't be able to get this played at the very worst behind closed doors.

5. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

The impression I'm getting is there is no appetite to play behind closed doors and the current domestic league season will finish even if it takes til Christmas. Cup competitions are all up for grabs in various forms

6. bert5e

bert5e
    Expand Collapse

it feels like there is a realisation now that football might not start again for a long long time and the deadline of "next season" makes no sense

7. Liver6t

Liver6t
    Expand Collapse

Deadline is June 30th now is what has come about after you posted this

8. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

It's the latest plan alright but I'm not sure it's a deadline that cant be renegotiated if needed. Buys some time anyway.

9. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

10. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Wasnt really aware Rick Parry was the main man in EFL. Good news as he'll be pushing for the season to finish

11. Brian Boru

Brian Boru
    Expand Collapse

12. CHARMAC

CHARMAC
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

It really is strange and a pain in the arse to be honest, sitting here on Saturday morning with no football to look forward for probably another couple of months, but when you look at the tv pictures coming out of Italy of trucks loads of dead bodies heading for the crematorium it really brings home how unimportant football really is in the scale of things, keep safe out there guys, and look after your families and friends these things are precious and can't be replaced,football will be back when this plague is over, remember wash those hands and keep your distance

padski08, Gerry, Brian Boru and 4 others like this.
  13. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

IOC waiting four weeks to decide on Olympics is a farce. Ireland should follow Canada and announce they won't attend if it goes ahead as scheduled. Or at least the Aussie route and tell athletes to stop preparing for a July 2020 games

14. dantheman23

dantheman23
    Expand Collapse

Mike Ashley- This is a new low even for him.
    I hope this puts people off buying from his shit shops.

15. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

The Athletic are reporting this morning that theres a growing appetite among PL clubs to just void this season. I think eventually that could be the most logical course of action in the sense that it causes the least amount of issues (even though it will still cause huge issues) but whoever they're quoting is claiming it's the most moral thing to do at this point which is absolute wank. All we're getting from the clubs briefing the press at the moment is self serving lobbying,what's moral couldn't be further from their minds. Personally I've made my peace with the strong possibility we wont get to finish this season as in the grand scheme of things it's not important. But those looking to profit from a pandemic make me sick.

16. bert5e

bert5e
    Expand Collapse

what I don't understand about all this is how this is the idea of exactly how society will recommence. The biggest challenge will be testing the risk of a wave two Coronavirus & the risks that this hold. I can't imagine the scenario where Gov's just give the green light to go & suddenly we have schools back, public transport packed & 50000 people in Croker / Anfield or wherever. Presumably this is going to be a some form of slow drip feed :-(

17. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

I'd imagine it will kick off once they've established a definitive treatment med. If as has been touted it is something like the anti malarial drug, then it should come on stream very fast as it would already have existing approval.
    The whole nonsense about the season been made void fills me with a sick stomach, the ultimate proof of LFC been jinxed in the EPL !

18. bert5e

bert5e
    Expand Collapse

possibly - but realistically that could be 18months before anything is approved, nevermind produced and distributed for the masses.

vodkacolly likes this.
  19. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

The PL are one screw in a giant wheel, the opinions of Karen Brady or David Gold are only a tiny bit more relevant than mine. The champions league needs to start next season campaign in July, that clearly can't happen. The Euros have to take place next summer, again that can only happen if the league's are finished. We have a winter world cup to accommodate the following year. The entire football calendar needs to be agreed by hundreds of clubs and national federation's. They all need to be on the same page.

The noises coming out FIFA yesterday were about players contracts being amended to end when the season ends whenever that may be. That looks like they are preparing to finish out the current seasons. I expect to see us playing summer football for the next 3 summers (including this one) to get things back on track. This will have a knock on effect for the Anfield Road End, could even lead to it being scraped.

Brian Boru likes this.
  20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Apparently the push to void is coming from West Ham and Spurs. It's obvious why West Ham were pushing for that but it hadn't dawned on me why Spurs were so keen until I saw it explained. Champions League places would be decided on last seasons standings which would see them qualify. If Citys ban stood Arsenal would qualify too.

Brian Boru likes this.