This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

GAA 2019

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dk.lfc, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone think part of the issue with giving Gavin due credit is that he comes across as absolutely no craic to have a pint with? Based purely on snippets of interviews I've seen from couple years ago

2. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

Is his brief to win trophies not comic of the year

diceyreilly likes this.
  3. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Kimmage has every right to be bitter, haunted, consumed, whatever you want to call it. He gave his life to a sport that fucked him, ridiculed him and kept laughing at him. I have huge respect for him for that. Many times I've listened to him or read his articles and thought jesus Paul let it go, it can't be healthy. But he can't because the sport he loves is still broken and he has to be admired for that.

Because he has seen unfairness first hand he just can't see the good in any sport, as his default position he see's cynicism and cheating. He wants pure but it doesn't exist. Pity is not the right word because he doesn't want or deserve that but I do feel sorry for him, the joy of sport has been deleted from his soul. McKenna doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence.

Liverpool-law likes this.
  4. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Certainly is. He doesn't come across as very engaging though and I would say people don't go out of their way to hear what he has to say unless they're into Dublin GAA

babbsnads likes this.
  5. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

heffo was defo no craic to have a pint with cos he didn't drink, doubt a single fcuk was given by many dubs, players or fans.
    don't think micko drinks either the boring b@stard.

Stevie S likes this.
  6. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Yep @bobbybenitez ,I think Kimmage is a very good journalist,streets ahead of McKenna and he has more integrity. Where they remind me of each other is the intensity. They both care deeply about the things they write about and it kills them that everybody else doesn't care as much. They'll both go down rabbit holes and Kimmage will keep digging deeper,but McKenna now lives in his. Being right has become more important to him than finding the truth but I think if he'd come along a generation earlier he could have been a very good sports journalist,you can see talent in his writing. Being a part of this generation has meant he's had to spend a lot of his time on social media and being the type he is,that's opened him up to the type of reaction that's corrupted better men than him. In a way I think he deserves credit for sticking to his guns as Dublin and Man City fans can be some of the worst on social media and human nature is going to drive that desire to be right and rub it in the faces of your abusers. But at the same time he brings a lot of the abuse on himself so I've no sympathy as such for him. I do think without being exposed to social media it could have been different but his career choices and lifestyle that came with those choices made it impossible to avoid,I could be wrong. But what I've become more and more uncomfortable with over the years is peoples talent and experiences in sport making their bad behaviour more acceptable and understandable to people.

Kimmage has a right to be bitter but no more right than anybody else who's suffered massive disappointment in life and it seems to me the lack of fairness and equality in not just sports but life as a whole is a big part of McKennas make up. Again this doesn't absolve him of any blame for his actions or from any of the consequences of his behaviour but why are we so certain he's much less entitled to be bitter than Kimmage? I know plenty of people who professional sport chewed up and spat out but they still got to experience things that the next guy could only dream about. Life can kick anybody's ass though and while its only natural that you're judged by your behaviour,nobody has a monopoly on bitterness. Maybe McKenna was always going to turn out like he has,but either way it's a pity because I genuinely think he has talent and cares about the things he writes about.

7. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Mick I don't enough about McKenna to even begin replying to that. I have read articles on Dublin, Man City and Spain, 3 very successful teams that he rages about. Maybe he is deeply passionate about GAA, the premier league, middle eastern humans rights and international football but he appears bitter without a lot of justification*

*Man City aside (although I doubt he really cares that much)

8. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

It doesn't really need a response Bob. People think McKenna is a cunt,a lot of that he only has himself to blame for and I'm not saying people should feel any differently. It's not realistic to expect people to judge somebody in the public eye on anything but what they know about them and McKenna has made his bed in that regard.
    I'm just saying that he's bitter for a reason and without knowing why I've no problem mentioning him in the same sentence as Kimmage because of the similarities between them,and that sport screwed Kimmage over is no reason not to.

9. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I don't know much about the chap but just had a quick look at his Twitter and the "I'm right" and everyone else was wrong self promotion is pathetic! I know very little about him but everything he writes seems to be an antagonistic response.

10. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

What are peoples thoughts on the game?

Dublin clear favourites for obvious reasons but is there any chance the Kingdom could upset the heavy odds? I think the forwards could damage any team at any point in a match but it's how they go about stopping Dublin that makes or breaks them imo
    Very interesting to see how Peter Keane sets them up.
    It's not beyond them.

11. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Think it comes down to Dublin’s players. If they play to Gavin’s plan and don’t get distracted, I can see 4-7 point win.

If though Kerry try to wind up Dublin players and someone picks up an early black or even red, it could change the game. There is a lot riding on the game for these Dublin players and pressure can do funny things to people. I can’t see it affecting them but it’s a possibility.

Kerry should throw Tommy Walsh in full forward from start and starting lashing balls In around the square. Your only hope of beating the Dubs is to get goals and there is goals in this Kerry team. Probably not enough though to get the type of lead to stay ahead.

Even if Dublin were 6 behind with 10 to play, I’d fancy them to win with players of the bench.

Hope it’s a good game for the neutral. I am not bothered who wins either way.

12. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

in 2011 i didn't give dublin much of a chance against kerry, to be honest i was just happy that dublin were back in a final again after 16 years, i felt kerry should win but the only way i could see dublin winning was to take the lead so late in the game that kerry wouldn't have a chance to respond and that's exactly what happened. I doubt kerry fans are ever just happy to be in a final so probably not the same as 2011 but i wouldn't be surprised at all to see the outcome very similar this sunday. obviously i hope i'm wrong, dublin can and should beat kerry but you just never know.

13. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I'll watch it but can't say I care a whole lot either way. Dublin going for 5, Kerry most successful football county ever, for the neutral there isn't really an underdog to back. Would like to see them both lose please...!

14. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Kerry can't quite match the quality that Dublin can bring but if Dublin have an off day there's every chance Kerry win this. Dublin had a few off days against mayo in finals but they never had the resilience to see the job through despite the opportunities that they had. If Kerry get into a position where they can win the game they won't fall apart, they've a winning mentality. But ultimately they do need Dublin to probably be operating at about 80% to win this.

15. bryanod

bryanod
    Expand Collapse

I see the viewing figures released by RTE really support the "Dublin killing GAA" narrative....

Dublin damned if they get the "tainted" five in a year and damned if "not one of the best teams ever" and lose.

No more than 2 in it, Kerry cute hoorism at its finest.

16. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

I give Kerry a decent chance as their forwards are very good and could really rise to the occasion. Mayo missed a bucket load of chances in the 1st half against Dublin. The Kerry conversion rate will be higher.

Anything can happen in a final so I wouldn't be writing Kerry off at all. Their backs will need to play out of their skins though and this is where the big question is about the Kerry team plus will they be able to keep going conditioning wise in a high octane game.

This is the great thing about a final. So many different opinions and questions to be answered. Roll on Sunday!

17. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

I give Kerry absolutely no chance whatsoever. ( this year)

They will win in it in the next 3/4 years but Dublin for now are absolutely unstoppable.

#upthedubs

18. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

19. KopHaney

KopHaney
    Expand Collapse

20. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't have thought so, he's preoccupied elsewhere.

KopHaney likes this.