This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

VAR watch

Discussion in 'Football Chat' started by Dub13, Mar 4, 2018.

1. mark buckley

mark buckley
    Expand Collapse

Not one person would have seen it in real time though ...the ref didn’t call it .. VAR did
    I’m just not a fan

2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

And when it comes to not being a fan you're probably in the majority mate but it's irrelevant whether anybody could see it in real time,VAR served its purpose on that incident. It's going to be a long season no matter what, it will be even longer if the officials are going to be criticised for the decisions they get right as well as everything else around VAR.

mark buckley likes this.
  3. mark buckley

mark buckley
    Expand Collapse

Very true mate
    But then how get the Chelsea penalty against us and Rodri incident so wrong when VAR would prove the correct decision ...hope it doesn’t hurt us badly this season (fingers crossed )

4. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

It was poor officiating,that's never going away. To be fair to the VAR official for the Rodri incident,I can see why he didn't intervene. The PL are determined that VAR doesn't ref the game so the interpretation of clear and obvious error might be more lenient than we've seen elsewhere.

5. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I seen the handball, a foul and an offside all in real time.

6. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

It will improve the fairness in the game so I'm all for it

7. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

All in all, it definitely will make the game fairer and I am a fan of ref not going to the side in the Premier League. VAR official tells the ref. Done and get on with it.

It will also long term make for more drama for tv audiences and I believe that is where some of the driver for VAR comes from. All that stencil stuff for Neves goal last night is a bit nuts though.

My own view is that long term though it will change the game in a bad way. I follow a lot of sports and there are many sports that play by play are more exciting however it was always the thrill of goal especially a last minute winner or crucial goal that makes a lot of drab play or games worth it. Following Ireland for 20 years McAteers goal against Netherlands, Robbie Keane against Germany and Robbie Brady against Italy made 90% of matches being boring worth it.

Collymore Closing In, Garry Macca against Everton, Stevie G Cup Final Goal, Andy Carroll against Everton, Lovren against Dortmund. All great moments following LFC.

Now with VAR, season after season I think that spilt second moment of madness will be eroded. Those who have grown up pre VAR will still celebrate in the same way although will be a hint of hesitation once you have a few ruled out. City fans for instance now have been burned twice in really high profile games. In the back of their head the next time they will be wondering if VAR will rule it out.

The next generation will automatically wait for VAR and atmosphere will be affected. Polite applause like Rugby once the VAR person has confirmed.

It’s the General way the game is going anyway with more corporates, big screens, more casual audiences, so the avid fan of teams is not such a big deal as once was.

redabbey and mark buckley like this.
  8. mark buckley

mark buckley
    Expand Collapse

They are saying it’s a 10 year project .
    God only knows where it’ll end up

9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

10. RedM

RedM
    Expand Collapse

Long term I think VAR is a good thing, but we may have a season or 2 of "controversy" before they iron out the problems. My main issues at the minute are the decision being reviewed by someone not on the field & the amount of time it takes to review and confirm the decision.

Once the technology catches up where the ref can watch the TV feed and an instant replay of an incident on a watch / screen on his forearm and the decision is made off the back of that then it will be a lot better.

11. KK1977

KK1977
    Expand Collapse

Yes the Laporte incident it is a handball. But it was not a "clear and obvious" error by the officials. It seems the only people that saw it at the time were the VAR officials, and that was because they replayed the action to find a reason not to give the goal. If it was clear and obvious then a Spurs player would have appealed for the free kick.

VAR has went from being a badly needed tool to reduce the number of "clear and obvious" errors to something that is now used to find a reason why a goal shouldn't be awarded.

"VAR can be used to overturn a subjective decision if a 'clear and obvious error' has been identified."

mark buckley and bobby benitez like this.
  12. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Stick an iPad in their back pocket - instant VAR

Personally now that I've accepted its here and not going anywhere, I've decided to view the glass as half full. We get to celebrate legitimate goals twice :)

13. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

That incident didn't have to fall into the clear and obvious category. There's another category that I can't remember the wording of that it falls under,and whether it hit Laportes arm or not wasn't subjective anyway mate.

KK1977 likes this.
  14. KK1977

KK1977
    Expand Collapse

"All 380 Premier League fixtures will have a VAR, who is constantly monitoring the match but will be used only for 'clear and obvious errors' or 'serious missed incidents' in four match-changing situations"

So they've classifed the handball as a "serious missed incident".

babbsnads likes this.
  15. Dickerty

Dickerty
    Expand Collapse

Well they can class it as such since, due to the rule change, the fact that it hit his arm meant the goal couldn't stand.

16. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Both of our goals on Saturday came from throw in's, one off our own and one off theirs. If perfection is required for every goal then surely analysing whether the throw in was awarded to right team is right course of action? If every decision is so important and must be correct or the world will end then every passage of play leading to a goal must be 100% correct.

Two weekends into the season and already Wolves and City fans hate it, at that rate I can't see it surviving beyond this season in its current format.

17. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I'll give this a listen later

18. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I take it you're venting Bob and you're not actually saying that you want something that you think is having a big negative impact on the game extended even further?

19. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

In fairness thats to do with decisions going against their club rather than the actual process itself.

20. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I am speaking out loud for the gobshites that wanted this in the first place. If perfection is what you then you have the wrong sport.

In 30 years watching the reds I can't remember that many decisions that screwed us or the opposition that badly. Sterling's offside goal at City springs to mind, as does Howard Webb not giving us a penalty at Chelsea late in 2013 and giving Utd one at home to spurs in 2009, in both cases I think he wouldn't have changed his mind because he was a prick.

For all the uproar about how badly it was needed I just can't find the evidence for that.

GaryMc likes this.