This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The general news thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Red7778, Aug 4, 2011.

1. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Anyone know roughly how long it takes to be "approved" for the Help to Buy scheme by Revenue?

2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

First thing I thought when I saw the nurses strike had been called off was that somebody was getting screwed and sure enough I'm seeing there's a lot of unhappy nurses who feel they've been sold out. I know a lot of people think that public sector workers strike on a whim but the truth is it takes a huge amount of hurt and frustration to push a group into it and once you kill that momentum which unions have become very adept at,its done. Once they postponed the strike to vote on this deal its game over,they aint coming back outside the gates.

The unions will say it's up to the nurses whether to accept this deal while spreading the message in a subtle way that it's the best they're going to get and it will be voted through. They'll be adamant they're not selling the deal and point to the democratic vote as proof of a job well done while many of the nurses will know they've been done over without being able to articulate an argument that can't be plausibly denied by those representing them and eventually getting accused of not respecting the democratic process. There's a lot of genuine people in the trade union movement in this country but those at the top put their interests above their members and the whole thing has become hugely compromised with vested interests.

3. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

It's a tricky one Babbs .....

On the one hand, the nurses are clearly in need of something - anyone who has ever had a look inside a hospital can see that they work hard, and we know they don't make millions.

On the other hand, if the government ups their dosh, the rest of the state's employees will be kicking up and wanting more cash, so next thing you've a massive increase in the public sector wage bill, and either have to increase taxes or cut other expenditure to pay for it. Most of the public don't want that.

I was wondering if part of the solution to the current nurses problem, might be to hire more nurses - more nurses at the same money though. That results in less work per nurse, but no increased in pay which would set a precedent for other state employees to then turn around and say here, they've just got 8% extra, so we want 9% blah blah blah.

Obviously some better promotional prospects, where nurses could take on more (serious) responsibilities, and earn better pay, would also be useful. As things stand, I think the opportunities are very limited, from what I've heard, and yet we've all sorts of other medical type staff earning a lot more and we can't get enough of them etc.

4. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

To be honest mate I don't know enough about the nurses situation to argue the pros and cons of their case.Im purely talking about the representation they're getting and what I've heard about that.

5. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

6. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Of all the what the actual fu*k stories you read in the paper this is right up there with the most bizarre. That the below line can even be possible in this day and age is shocking.

Begum said that when she arrived in Raqqa, she went to a house for brides-to-be and ‘‘applied to marry an English-speaking fighter between 20 and 25 years old.’’ Within 10 days, she was married to a 27-year-old from the Netherlands. They had two children who died of malnutrition.

babbsnads likes this.
  7. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Big debate in Britain about whether she should be allowed home. It's hard to know where you even start to decide what side of the fence to be on. Apparently she shows no remorse so you'd assume she'd be coming back with the same ideology but she doesn't appear to have broken any laws and legally is entitled to come back. The British government probably rightly aren't going to do more than the bare minimum to help her get back,but if she doesn't get back what will her babies fate be? And if she did get back would it be in that babies interests to be raised by a radical extremist? That's if there is legal grounds to seperate the child from its mother.

8. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

That article doesn't seem to say what the story was with her husband. Is he dead or did they get separated or are they on a break or what?

9. liverpool4life

liverpool4life
    Expand Collapse

Another article says he surrendered to Syrian fighters and she hasn't seen him since

babbsnads and Liverpool-law like this.
  10. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

11. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Fair play to him.
    Leading by example and showing the citizens of Dublin who may be in arrears, that you can simply rustle up a bit of extra cash from an undisclosed source, and pay off the banks.
    I mean, he was able to pay off 3 separate loans and he doesn't even have a proper job.

12. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

13. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I have to say I don't have a problem with that once it's legal and she not stateless.

If she was to return she would cost the British taxpayer millions of pounds and in exchange for what? She was happy to go join an organisation that is against everything Britain stands for, she made her bed now she must sleep in it.

14. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I don't feel sorry for her Bob but something definitely doesn't sit right. If a British citizen with British parents was in the same position,they wouldn't be able to revoke that person's citizenship. She was born in Britain to Bangladeshi parents so what they're basically doing is creating a second class of British citizen which could have all types of knock on effects,not least feeding into the current racial tensions that sees British muslims treated as less British on a daily basis.Its also selective use of laws that I don't believe should be in the power of any Home Seceretary,especially not one with ambitions to be his parties leader,who constantly panders to populism to show he can be as racist against those of Asian descent as his white colleagues,and who not long ago declared a small amount of refugees making their way to an English beach a "national crisis" and sent the navy in. All things considered,I don't think it was a decision that is in or was taken in the national interest.

15. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Charges dropped on the lad from the regency shooting

Very odd goings on in that case

SUPERFAN likes this.
  16. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I think that girl has become a victim of incredibly poor timing and a Government that is scrambling to appease voters on the hard right at a time when they feel they can ill afford to alienate any further voters with a very likely general election on the horizon. There's not many voters on the left going to not vote for the Tories because of this issue but I would be 100% sure that politicians of the ilk of Nigel Farage et. al would love nothing more than a poster girl for their what's wrong with Britain campaign.

17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

As I said already,I've no real sympathy for the girl but I think you're spot on. What the right need to realise that eventually the shoe will be on the other foot,and if a person can have their citizenship revoked without being convicted of any crime,they've opened the door to all sorts of interpretations of ways these powers can be abused.Imagine for a second Jeremy Corbyn was the extreme left loon they paint him as,it shouldn't take too much imagination to come up with ways he could use it to protect Britain and it's values. That's the thing,what Britain does and should stand for means different things to different people.

18. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

It's crazy stuff, I'm quite surprised that they've taken this decision to be honest Babbs, I don't believe for a second that they would have made the same decision if the geopolitical landscape was not where it was right at this moment, I'm also quite certain that this girl will eventually make her way back into Britain somehow, hopefully mandated by the EU as a final parting gift to our Brexiteer folk who would actually riot in the streets if it happened. I know the circumstances are slightly different and he always had a level of deniability that this girl does not have but when you look at the approach taken when that Irish chap got "caught up" in a Muslim Brotherhood riot in Cairo it was a very different approach taken with no stone left unturned to get him home with interventions at the very top level of the Irish Government to make it so.

19. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

If she returned to Britain she would be lynched.
    She is safer in Syria.

20. liverpool4life

liverpool4life
    Expand Collapse