This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool Sat 27th August 12.30pm

Discussion in 'Match Day (Closed)' started by Liverpool-law, Aug 24, 2016.

1. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Totally agree, I put most of 2014 challenge down to the momentum of the handy start. Stoke, Villa and Moyes's Utd was a dream start.

Three games in nothing is clear, Arsenal yesterday probably look better equipped than anyone to smash the team's they should but still the same as ever. Utd have Fellani as one of a 2 man midfield. Chelsea look like a sunny weather team, not enough changes to that squad to challenge. Spurs looked very slow yesterday, literally only Danny Rose had any pace. City look strong but then Aguero's next injury is never far away.

2. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Just seen that corner/penalty incident, must've missed it yesterday. That was mental, never seen anything like that before.

3. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

I'd say many here thought Klopp would be all lined up to sign a new LB as soon as the window opened tbh mate. The fact that he has elected not to do so this window (unless there's an 11th hour surprise yet to come) means he's left himself open to criticism every time we leak a goal there, whether it's Milner or Moreno playing, don't you think ?

Not ideal, but I've pretty much concluded that we are going to play this season on the concept of just trying to score more goals then we let in each game, so I'm expecting to see few clean sheets. I previously made reference to Kevin Keegan almost winning the league circa 20 years ago working off that system, so who knows Klopp might get there.... although he'll need a reliable striker to help deliver on the overall number of goals needed.

Agreed, had you offered me 6pts out of our first 3 games, I'd have taken your hand off and been glad with even 5pts, but 4pts is disappointing.

We have to improve that average over the games ahead, notwithstanding some of the fixtures involved. If we can get through the next 6 fixtures with say 12 -13 pts out of a potential 18 (that includes playing Leicester, Chavs and Mancs), then we could probably claim we had done well enough for the first 9 PL games of the season. I think that expectation looks reasonable tbh, with hope that we can push on and get better returns from each 9 games thereafter (given the hardest part of our season will in theory, be over).

4. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

That's the thing,Klopp not a dressing the problems in the way people think he should doesn't equate to him not addressing the problems.He's made a decision not to buy a left back and now people need to give him time to prove it was the right decision.3 games in with "his team" is at easy 6 months shy of giving him time.

I also don't agree that Klopp is taking the attitude of just making sure we score more than we concede (which I suppose is the basis of football but I know what you meant).We've given up relatively few shots on our goal from open play,basic individual mistakes is what's cost us.He's definitely trying to make us a better defensive unit,just as a part of a very good attacking unit.

#164 babbsnads, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  5. Beanokelly

Beanokelly
    Expand Collapse

Only watched the highlights there because i was at the game yesterday for me Lallana wasn't offside for Mane's goal.

6. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

We have beaten Arsenal and drawn with Spurs away from home but strangely sit behind both of them in the table after just three games. This is what results like Burnley do to you. Same old kick in the teeth we have been administering to ourselves every couple of weeks for the last 3 seasons. The team is lacking steel and is mentally weak. I always expect the other side to score, we can't shut down a game when the points are on the board like top teams do, we will inevitably let the other side back in the game, take the foot off the jugular. Sure we were 4 -1 up against Arsenal and were still in danger of dropping two points by the end of it. I agree that momentum is worth loads. Drop 3-6 more points against Leceister Chelsea and United and we could be well off the pace with confidence very low by the time we get the "easy" run (i.e. the run where we are supposed to get 17 out of 18 and end up getting 10 out of 18). I don't want to sound miserable, I'm actually not but on a dispassionate view of our play I see very little different from last season. Very few mentally strong players and too many who go missing in the "easy" games. A draw away to Spurs is a good result in itself but definitely feels like 2 points dropped, and 5 dropped out of 9. Dropping points like that consistently will see us nowhere near the top four. Huge improvement in consistency and application needed for this season to produce anything.

7. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

While I didn't want to make it sound quite so simplistic, I suppose when all is said and done it is actually quite simple - score more than you let in, win the game, repeat regularly and win the league. That said, I meant it in terms of where he's invested his resources this summer for example.

I accept that 3 games is not a lot to be passing judgement, but I do not accept we should hold off on criticism for 6 months either. Klopp had a decent spell last season to spend time with many of his players, get to know them, oganise them etc. Only the new signings have had limited time under his direction. As such, I think 6 months during the league is too much personally to make a call on whether he was right or wrong on the LB decision.

Agreed. Thats why I've been going on about bringing in a top CM (amongst a couple of positions), changing captain etc. We need a bit more strength and leadership on the pitch imho. I see the captain's role as an important part of this and don't feel Hendo delivers on this - apparently some others here don't quite see it the same way, placing less emphasis on the captain's armband. Anyway, it's only one aspect of the fix as I see it so I won't point the finger just in that direction.