This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Transfer Rumours And Makey up stories (V2)

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by Dub13, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Dubred

Dubred
    Expand Collapse

To be fair to fallows and hunter they've on been involved since the January window and that was a major improvement on the summer. I don't really know about Williams wouldn't be a big fan would hope Brendan has been unlucky with his Swansea signings rather than them being the duds they look at the moment. He'll live or die by his signings this summer so he'd better get them right.

2. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

I'd say they had a big hand in the Coutinho signing but I'd say Sturridge signing was one just revised since the summer

Plenty of CBs in Europe or further that play the football that Rodgers wants than to spend £10/12m on Williams 29

3. Stevieb3186

Stevieb3186
    Expand Collapse

My opinion is that we should sign more dirty south american *******s who'd kick their granny if it meant getting 3 points like Suarez,Mascherano etc. and before any one thinks it, im not calling to bring back Mascherano (id love it) but if we could find a 20 year old version it would be the perfect solution. Also id love Diego Godin, proper nasty CB.

4. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Rodgers wants more than just a nasty CB but add that to a CB that help us play a high line and has pace and can play it out , then sounds perfect

5. Stevieb3186

Stevieb3186
    Expand Collapse

thats what i mean, the big question is Agger good enough to play that role? His concentration is woeful at times and its a reoccuring issue that costs us points. there is a case of selling all 3 as well as Carra going. Id have 1 nasty ****er who would stand up to the likes of Benteke etc and one who plays the ball. both need pace tho.

6. Maverick

Maverick
    Expand Collapse

I must be a small minority who would welcome Williams.Lets face it we've changed our style of play and our current defenders aren't adapting very well to it.Williams on the other hand has experience playing in the kind of team that Rodgers sets up so just because Allen and borini haven't proven themselves yet doesn't mean Williams won't come in and do the job either.The valuation is a bit bizarre if circa 12 million is to be believed that would be my major concern as I think he is a competent defender

7. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

We don't seem to play a high line though. I doubt there's a team in the league who have caught players offside less than us. Maybe that's down to personnel,I don't know. Did his Swansea team play a high line? I asked a question on here earlier in the season as to whether anyone found the type of line we hold a bit different,as in it seems like a U shape rather than a straight line which would probably explain why we hardly ever leave players offside. I've only been to two games though and its hard to see these things on TV which is why I was asking to see if any of the more regular match goers could shed some light on it.

8. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

If we sign Williams then Rodgers is pinning his LFC career on his shoulders. Hit the ground running or have the crowd on both their backs within 2 months.

9. Stevieb3186

Stevieb3186
    Expand Collapse

We dont play a flat back 4 at home anyway. it is more of a 2 then a 4 with the full backs more in line with the holding midfielder/s depending on how many and who plays. Ive tried to do a diagram below!!! This is due to both full backs having licence to go a do wha they want with 1 or both DM covering them.

CB CB

RB DM DM LB

10. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

I'm guessing he is still still highly rate in Europe and back home so hopefully £6/7m

“I do not want to play in an English club to mid-table. Unlike Newcastle, Liverpool meets my criteria.” Alderweireld

Getting a gut feeling this is going to be one of Rodgers CB signings

11. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Cheers pal. The shape of the back 4 there is not far off what I thought it was. I'm not going to pretend to understand the ins and outs and the "u" shape has looked to me more like a Nike sign upside down(getting rediculous now:) but its a hard one to explain without a diagram.

CB

RB. CB

LB

That's sort of the shape I thought I was looking at in situations where other teams with be holding a straight line. That diagram would be when the ball is on our left side. Of course I could just be imagining it.

Edit-I just realised my attempt at a diagram came out absolutely nothing like it was supposed to. It just makes the post look pretty rediculous. Ah well:)

#31 babbsnads, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  12. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Didn't we start we a high line and have dropped back with Cara taking over Skrtels role

Swansea played high line under Rodgers with 2 CBS in a 433 and with the centre mid dropping to make a 343 as their full backs attacked
    Most of Rodgers high passes per game were his defenders and the top was Williams with 70 per game and the one who set the play from a high line from the back

It was unheard of for a promoted side to average 58/60% over the season but lacked the cutting edge in the final third ,think it was the worst for pass completion in the final third in the league last season .

#32 ROCCO, Apr 12, 2013
  13. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I could be wrong Rocco but I don't think so. I read an analysis a while back about how we defend and it suggested we move up the pitch as a unit when we have the ball but when we lose it we pressure the man on the ball eàrly and quickly but its more of a containment thing to allow us time to drop back into our defensive shape. To me watching us,it kind of makes sense. Players very rarely get into a decent patch of grass running at our goalkeeper,unless we play them through and all season,we very rarely see offsides in our favour. But as I said,some things are hard to see on the TV and I could be wrong.

14. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Rodgers whole philosophy is a high line with the full backs bombing forward and the CBs starting the move from the high line and as the fullbacks attack the Lucas of the team drops to make it 343 from a 433

Bringing in a centre back or 2 to play this high line will be top priority next season IMO .
    It will fill the gap between our mid and defence and hopefully make us more solid through the centre but its still about us having 60+% possession and Rodgers sees that as winning formula IMO

15. Dubred

Dubred
    Expand Collapse

Inverted swoosh formation as Brendan likes to call it.:)

16. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Don't get me wrong pal,I'm not denying Rodgers would like to play a high line,because I don't know,I just don't think we have been holding a high line. Holding a high line is about how far up the pitch you defend when you haven't got the ball not where your defenders are when you do,because every defence in the league will push up in relation to where the ball is when they're in possession. Holding a high line is what arsenal do(badly) and what caused a lot of the hassle at Chelsea when AVB was there because leaving space behind was making John Terry look bad. I think you're right about the centre backs being a priority in the summer.

17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

:)

18. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

I'm not 100% if we played a high line earlier in the season but haven't for a long while
    But Swanseas under Rodgers played a high line and I'm sure it's what he wants us playing next season
    We May also see the type of player in Allen that Rodgers sees .

Rodgers played 433 into 343 at Swansea and had to be what he wants with us

But we have seen a more 433 into 244 recently trying to accomadate our attacking players

#38 ROCCO, Apr 12, 2013
  19. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Yeah you're probably right pal. I didn't watch a lot of Swansea under Rodgers so I'd be lying if I said I knew what way they defended. Our defence is the biggest challenge he is facing anyway.

20. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

The defence is Number 1 priority but from a defensive unit and not just the back 4 and the balance of the defensive and offensive side as ONE
    Has also imo to get a settle formation than so much chopping and changing isn't helping even if has been needed to produce results or figure out what's best for the short term
    Also going to be interesting how he accomadates Downing Coutinho Suarez and Sturridge , probably more Suarez and Sturridge together and keeping the side balanced from a defensive and offensive unit.

A lot to get right next season IMO