This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

GAA 2022

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by stamullenredmen, Jan 4, 2022.

1. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Is it not the responsibility of the referee team to make sure the right amount of players are on the field? It would seem normal that play doesn't resume until the players leaving the pitch have left the pitch.

2. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I think there's been a bit of a row back, the guy who said that has said he was speaking in a personal capacity and that they wanted to review the matter. Was the 16th Man involved in the play or just not technically off the field?

3. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

I'd have to watch it back if he did although should it matter really. If a player is occupying a space when defending a set piece then surely he's effecting play especially when said player shouldn't be on the pitch. They're well within their rights to review and appeal imo but I just thought it was refreshing at the time that they'd get on with it. Whether the extra man effected the outcome of Glen's 45 attempt at goal for however long he was on the pitch doesn't really alter the fact that it was a balls up from Crokes, referee and umpires and whatever the outcome from this they'll be kicking themselves over it. Feel sorry for Glen obviously but also Crokes too as I think it was a genuine mistake on their behalf and now they are waking up with sore heads to this controversy.

4. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Sorry what I meant was, was the player just not off the field on time as in he hadn't run off the field by the time the 45 was taken or was he in the box defending it therefore 100% involved. It's a shame for Crokes because they'd obviously snuck out the other side of tightly contested game and could end up losing a replay or even having the game taken from them (which would be the worst possible outcome because nobody would be happy with that outcome). I think it would be unnecessarily sporting of Glen to just accept this and move on, how long might they be waiting for another shot at this final, an article I read suggests they had asked for the 45 to be retaken with the correct number of bodies on the field but this was refused, that would have been an easy fix had the GAA the foresight to have done that.

5. cantish

cantish
    Expand Collapse

If I was Glen , I wouldn’t appeal it but they are well within their rights.

I actually really think there will be a replay. The GAA might even push for it if Glen stay quiet and say nothing , otherwise sets a dangerous precedent. Embarrassing for it to happen in All Ireland final aswell.

6. dk.lfc

dk.lfc
    Expand Collapse

GAA highlight of the weekend Micko getting married.

mushypea, cantish and Niall like this.
  7. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Yes the old Nat King for Micko!

mushypea, cantish and dk.lfc like this.
  8. shakav

shakav
    Expand Collapse

Think there will be a replay, and Kilmacud actually had 17 on the field as Mannion had not actually walked off yet and was stood facing the play. Crazy for a team of Kilmacud's experience

cantish likes this.
  9. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

i'm still looking for a replay for this. :)

10. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Seems mental to me that there's any doubt about what should happen here. Its a shit situation but if you've an extra man on the pitch who participated in the game in any way, then you haven't got a leg to stand on,or at least you shouldn't.

11. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

What's really become infuriating for me is the GAA sitting back saying they're doing nothing if Glen don't lodge an official complaint. It should not be on them to initiate this, the GAA should just get on with this themselves and not just hope Glen will go away quietly.

babbsnads likes this.
  12. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I've only seen a still of the image, haven't seen the actual footage. I'd love Glen to just say congratulations Kilmacud, it shouldn't have happened but it didn't affect the outcome. The GAA, probably more than any other sport has a culture of appealing everything and anything, no one ever seems to accept punishment if they could possibly get away with it. This could be the start of shifting that culture.

Of course if they really feel like it affected the outcome they should say so and make the appeal. Hoping the GAA do it for them is a bit like the above, hoping a technicality gets them out of a hole.

13. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

To be fair Kilmacud had 16 men in front of the ball as Glen played a little hail Mary into the box for a goal. It definitely hindered there chances.

Shouldn't be a replay at all, should be a forfeit.

14. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Maybe best if Kilmacud request a replay. Takes a lot of factors out of the equation such as GAA's unwillingness to properly govern and Glen's obvious concerns about being put in the awkward position. It's the biggest date in the senior club football calendar. May as well do right by it.

bobby benitez likes this.
  15. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I think that's a good suggestion, Kilmacud are ultimately the ones responsible for the error and it probably should be on them to put their hands up here, call it what it is and ask for a replay. It's slightly tainted for them anyway.

But I still maintain they shouldn't have to, the more I think about this the more I get annoyed at the GAA washing their hands of this and saying it's on the teams to sort it out.

16. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I don't see how a substitution can be made, the substitute player go on the pitch and the game resuming without some player on that pitch knowing he shouldn't be on it. Claiming ignorance is a cop out imo. And whatever about it being the GAA's fault, or the club's fault or the individual player's fault, there is one definite. It isn't Glen's fault.

Shane_90 likes this.
  17. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

would KC requesting a replay not set a dangerous precedent, might sound mad but what would stop a team who are behind in a game from sending on an extra player near the end, pointing it out after the game and requesting a replay?
    for me it's on the officials, they should have spotted there were 16 KC players on the pitch and shouldn't have let the game restart till it was 15.
    they made the error, not KC.

bobby benitez likes this.
  18. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

What if it was Liverpool who won the Champions League Final against Real Madrid, and it was pointed out afterwards Liverpool had 12 men on the field defending the last corner. Everyone still expecting Liverpool to do the right thing and ask for a replay or forfeit the match. Or wanting UEFA to force a replay? Or is it just because you all have no attachment to the teams involved it's easy to demand replays?

19. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

that wouldn't be liverpool's fault it would be the officials' fault for not spotting it and allowing the corner to be taken with 12 men on the pitch.

elvis likes this.
  20. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

KC 100% did make an error, there can be absolutely no debate about that. The officials also made an error in not correcting KC's error but the original error was on KC.

Can't see any way that your dangerous precedent could happen as your context is backwards, KC weren't behind, they were leading and defending a situation where Glen could have scored a game winning goal. If they were 4 points ahead it wouldn't have mattered either. If the team that has benefited from the situation loses the game it's a totally different scenario. If Glen had scored that game winning goal while KC had 16 men on the field there'd be no issue now.