This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Real Madrid v Liverpool 1/4 champions league Tue

Discussion in 'Match Day (Closed)' started by ROCCO, Apr 5, 2021.

1. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

But you claimed he can't defend which is different. I did the same myself with John Stones, but City changed the way they play and he now gets more protection,and suddenly he looks a very good centre back. When I say Trent is judged by different standards, I probably should say he's judged by the wrong standards because his job is 10 times harder than the defenders he's being judged against. Whether we should change how we play is up for debate, personally I'm happy with the level of risk reward when we're playing to the level we're capable of and it's proven the risks we take are worth it. But we aren't at our level,missing Van Dijk and Gomezs pace or Matips experience, and as you say teams target that area which leaves Trent taking the brunt of the criticism for problems that often stem from elsewhere on the pitch. Don't get me wrong,when he makes a howler like last night he should be criticised and Im not going to claim he doesn't need to improve defensively,but there's not a player on the planet who could fulfil the role he's being asked to at 22, deal with the extra workload our risk/reward system disproportionately puts on him(even compared to Robertson)and not get caught out defensively a lot. Take the best defensive right back you can think of, ask him to do that job in our current circumstances and he'll be getting hammered for his defensive performances. Will the very best defenders make as many defensive mistakes in that role, probably not. But they'll offer you nowhere near from an offensive point of view,so overall we'd still be worse off.

2. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

In some ways I found last night easier to take as we were so bad we really didn't deserve anything out of the game. At least 2 of the 3 goals you shouldn't be conceding at this level. Real weren't that good insofar as we were awful, particularly first half. With no crowds that stadium was like something you'd see in a europa league qualifying round match in the summer. A lot of players were slipping too, I'd say the surface was awful.

It's half time but I struggle to see us improving enough in a week to what is required. Anything can happen I guess.

Between Gini leaving and several players in the squad who don't really cut it or offer enough when they are given the chance, there's arguably a lot of work needed on the squad. Gini, Shaq, Origi, Keita, Ox.... Arguable time to cash in on Bobby in the summer, I don't think he's going to improve from here. Salah could want out. Thiago looks like a guy playing into his retirement. Milner coming to the end. A fair few of the defenders don't look up to top level. Not trying to be negative, honest appraisal of those players.

Garrett likes this.
  3. twixfix

twixfix
    Expand Collapse

Look at the bright side we'll have minimum 3 center backs we didn't have this season. Fans back in the stadium. Shaq, Origi, Keita, Ox wont be missed on any serious level. Salah wont be going anywhere. If Bobby were to leave (I dont think he will) we have Jota as replacement. Hendo & Fab back in midfield. One or two new signings.

4. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I think the first bunch are a problem because they are what we have to bring on to change a game. There is no strength in depth of quality required to compete in more than 1 or 2 competitions a season. We need better quality than that when something needs to change in a game.

I think it should be time to cash in on Bobby at this stage. I think he will slip further back from here, I don't see him affecting a game like he has in the past. Time to cash in and get a replacement, we can't go back to just depending on the same 3 week in week out.

5. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

I have a feeling Klopp will play the 4 lads Firmino, Jota, Salah, Mane.with Gini and Fabinho in next week's return leg. I'd find a place in starting line up for Milner myself, let him loose for an hour and see how he's faring. He really adds so much to the team especially with Virgil and Henderson out.

Garrett likes this.
  6. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

I agree with all of that but I will say I'm disappointed in his lack of defensive improvement over the last couple of years. Last night for all 3 goals in he was in the position he would want to be in, these weren't transitions yet he was badly exposed. He doesn't appear to have the natural danger instincts great defenders have and you can't grow them.

On the subject of how we play I think the time has come to change, the opposition are just waiting for us to make a mistake which we duly offer up. The risk versus reward numbers aren't stacking in our favor anymore, I think a Conte 532 system for the rest of the season could be in order. Protect our weakest links and go with only 2 of our under performing front 3.

Alisson
    Trent Kabak Fabinho Phillips Robertson
    Gini Thiago Milner
    Salah Jota

Milner could be replaced for a number of different players. It contradicts my statement that Fabinho shouldn't leave midfield but the centre backs are so out of their depth even he can't protect them at this level.

7. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking this myself last night. At this level Philips is clearly not good enough unfortunately, moving Fabinho back there with the alternatives available in the midfield is the way to go imo anyway.

8. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, but I really don't think moving Fab back into CD is the right answer.

We may need to change the formation for the remainder of the season, given a combination of injuries and players not delivering, but I really think Fab is better in front of the defenders.

4-3-3 isn't working as well as it used to, we are missing first choice CDs, and we've issues with both Bobby and Mane being off form, so maybe try 4-4-2, with a little more weight in midfield to help protect the back line, and just Salah and Jota up front?

9. robbie st leger

robbie st leger
    Expand Collapse

Whatever about any other moves Fabinho into back cannot be an option please we saw how much we lose with him out of his natural home so that would be a backward step imo

Garrett likes this.
  10. thenewguy

thenewguy
    Expand Collapse

In a one off match with the pressure on city to finally win it I wouldn't be so sure. I agree they are no great shakes though, if they were on the other side of the draw I wouldn't be giving them a prayer of making the final

11. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

Long time since I have been that disappointed after a Liverpool game. I was convinced we were going to beat them but we were schooled and I don't see a way back for us.

12. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Haven’t been that disappointed in any game since Brighton. Knew then the league was gone.

13. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

I don't know why but this season has felt hollow to me. Even when we win I have not been as happy as I usually am.

Chelsea away this season was the highest moment of the season for me. I was convinced we would walk the league again.

Does anyone genuinely believe we can turn it around on Wednesday night?

So many players are dreadfully out of form and loads like Andy Robertson look dead on their feet.

I think the season may just peter out but I hope I am wrong. We will challenge next season, I have no doubt,

Are you one of the ones who would like us to be out of europe completely if we cannot get into the Champions league?

14. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

It's only felt hollow to me since the Everton game, I've never felt we've been so screwed over in so many different ways in one match. Not only did it put our best player out for the season, and knock another out for three months who started the season looking good and to be honest hasn't looked good at all since he came back, it robbed us of a big 2 points and win against the blueshite and opened the door for officials to royally fuck us for the next couple of months.

smarten, £6.50 and sligo fan like this.