This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

PlayStation 5

Discussion in 'Computers/Gadgets' started by Ron1892, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Anyone getting one? I put a deposit down in GameStop last week. Minimum deposit is €50.

Talk about it been out in November. Prices of about €500 odd been talked about. GameStop are giving about €250 trade in Credit for the PS4 Pro so that’s handy.

2. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Would you not be better off selling yourself? I know nothing about consols or gaming but I believe those game stop trades and prices are legalised robbery

3. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Cex are roughly the same price. The console is a couple of years old and I only paid €400 for it so I think it’s a fair price . I’m happy enough with it.

The new one although is pricey and the games are going to be a extra €10-€20z :mad:

4. Pfoley

Pfoley
    Expand Collapse

Didnt realise places were taking deposits yet. Will look into it as it will be top of the two young lads Xmas lists.

5. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Could be expensive Santa lists you have there if you need to pick two up.

6. MR KING KENNY

MR KING KENNY
    Expand Collapse

Would it be worth travelling up north to get one?

7. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

By the time petrol costs etc, it would probably be the same price. There is two versions coming out. One without the disc drive and that will be between €50-€100 cheaper and one with one which will be more expensive .

There is talks of the games been €80 and the new controller been €80 too.

I’ve read online that more pricing details will be released the start of Sept and more places will be taking pre orders the second week of September.

Keep a eye on Smyths as they haven’t started yet taking pre orders, but they don’t take trade in.

8. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

It's an awful looking thing. I've been PlayStation for years, even though I get discounted games and accessories on the Xbox and free Xbox game pass ultimate, I decided PlayStation was better. But seeing the PS5 and the state of it, and it's size. It's the LARGEST console ever made. Monstrosity of a thing. So I won't be trying to squeeze that under or behind my TV. I'll stick with my PS4 Pro until it becomes obsolete and then jump to Xbox.

[​IMG]

9. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Yeah it wouldn’t be the prettiest thing out there and I wouldn’t be mad on the white on it.

The PS4 pro for me is like a jet engine taking off. It’s so loud and noisey.

10. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

When I first got the PS4 Pro it was fairly quite even running the HDR 4k upscaling and playing the VR. Then a few updates later it sounds like an aeroplane even while it's idling on the menu. Seems to get worse with every new update it forces.

Apparently the large size of the PS5 means it'll be "silent" but I doubt that.

11. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Specs wise, how does the PS5 stack up against the XBox Series X?

12. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

To be completely honest and 100% unbiased. The XSX is superior in every department than the PS5 (except for listed I/O throughput, however XSX has new technology that claims it's using which will actually beat the PS5 throughput, the difference is milliseconds on initial load times), .

The only thing Xbox needs to do now is get more Japanese game developers onboard (Sony have the market cornered), and have more game exclusives(which are coming).

The XSX is an engineering marvel, based on what they've managed to fit inside the case. They've taken their time and their goal was to push out the best product, and this is it. But both consoles have their fan boys who won't jump ship to the other so it's all likely a moot point.

And finished with more honest stuff, the specs don't actually matter to 99.9% of people, as we'll never be able to notice the differences. There's a reason people need to use computers and fancy software to even tell what specs are currently running for games on each system.

So it'll come down to personal preference on price, games available, style, size, sound etc etc
    Example, I have mountains of games on PlayStation and tonnes of accessories including my VR kit, so I've already got a steep investment there. So it would be harder to switch over to Xbox. But I likely will, just because I get discounts on everything except the console and get free Game Pass Ultimate so will get all the exclusive games at launch for free instead of paying Sony €90 a game.

Liverpool-law likes this.
  13. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Cheers elvis

14. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Hopefully we should know a price and date tomorrow night as there is a PlayStation conference .

15. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

November 19th.

€399 for the disc less version and €499 for the one with the disc.

16. Pfoley

Pfoley
    Expand Collapse

Managed to pre order one there on gamestop. Pre order sold out now.. Will there be enough stock of these for xmas? Wasn't taking a chance on waiting so just went for it.

17. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Well what’s peoples thoughts on it?

Picked it up on Thursday morning and I’ve played it a bit over the past few days. Have to say I love the new layout. Takes a bit of getting used to.

It’s so slick and fast at the moment and the graphics are class. I’ve played DIRT on it and it’s a great game. Fun and easy to play.

The new controller has a lovely feel to it as well.

Overall I’m delighted with it.

18. Shane_90

Shane_90
    Expand Collapse
    Formerly Fowler-9-

Anyone any idea how on earth I get a ps5. Can they be bought abroad or soemthing, anytime they go on sale in gamesstop or curries their sold out in seconds. Don't get me started on the vermin scopping them up to stick them directly on adverts.

Young lad wants one for xmas, he will do without if I can't source one but its been a year now surely they should have sufficient supply.

19. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I know a couple of people who got one due to this lads info.

Shane_90 likes this.
  20. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

There's a worldwide shortage of microchips and processors due to factories closing during Covid. It's affected production in everything from cars to phones to games consoles.
    Will be mid 2022 at least before things start to improve.

Shane_90 likes this.