This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Dub13, Dec 31, 2018.

1. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Always go to see them in the Cinema. More for the cars than the acting. The Toyko Drift one was a bad film but I loved it for the cars and music.

didn’t go to see Hobbs and Shaw.

2. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Meh, the franchise peaked at 5. Come at me bro. :p

3. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, Tokyo drift was easily the worst of the set. It's only real purpose is basically it sets the plot line for Stathams arrival several movies late. Cars were awesome though.

Hobbs and Shaw was...average at best. They just tried too hard to make every second action packed, other than the final sequences, it seemed like it was "bang, bang, bang, bang" with no buildup and having a superhero(villian) stretched even the most devoted fans credulity

Lol, I actually agree with you mate, 5 was the best of the lot, but that doesnt detract from the enjoyment of the ones that followed.
    Suspension of belief is absolutely vital as they try to top each film with the following installment, and we've gone from street racers, to the motorized Justice league.
    But hey, we live in a world with Trumps, and Johnsons who make no sense, so why should the movies try to? :)

Aside:
    Was watching an old episode of "Shark men" on Discovery yesterday. Shipload of guys fishing for great whites to land on a big lift/cradle thing and take scentific data, and tag before releasing them.
    Paul Walker is working the deck, getting up close and personal with a 16ft great white. Guy was a total adrenaline junkie.

4. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

The normally reliable IMDB has a very high score for the Breaking Bad movie but every review outside of that site has slated it.
    Over 5000 of the votes giving it 10/10 is very suspect. Must be a lot of fanboys.
    Not a big fan of the series myself so might give it a miss based on the reviews.

5. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Started to watch a couple more films during the week since there is no football on , and decided to give her a go of the TV for a change.

Rocketman- Wouldn’t be a Elton John fan and don’t really like those films with loads of music in them but I thought it was very good.

A Star was born. Herself wanted to see this for ages and fell asleep half way through it. I ended up watching it and it wasn’t bad. Lady Gaga was very good in it.

7 days to Las Vegas- it’s meant to be a comedy about a lad who laid a bet that he could walk to Las Vegas in 7 days. It’s a easy watch.

Fighting with my family - This was about a wrestler in the UK who made it to the WWE. It was a actually a enjoyable watch.

Have to say I struggled to find anything decent to watch film wise.

6. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

sorry we missed you is very good, there's probably millions of people living in similar circumstances.

7. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Agree with you on IMDB, it's traditionally been my first port of call for movie ratings.

Watched the Breaking Bad movie, thought it was okay, but struggling to give it a 7/10, never mind anything more.

I'm hoping it's gonna be a bit like the Kill Bill movies, where a second part comes out fairly quickly and then the first part makes more sense etc.

8. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Watched “Once upon a time in London” last night. It’s a gangster film set in the 1930’s in London with Terry Stone and Leo Gregory. Decent watch. Something different . Your one from Girls aloud is in it too. The Irish one.

Garrett likes this.
  9. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

Seen the Terminator Dark fate the other night.. found it very entertaining & was shocked by the opening scene in Guetamala ! Ain't going to spoil it for anyone!
    This de-aging tech they're using now is very impressive..

Looking forward to The Irishman for my next trip. .

Garrett likes this.
  10. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

209 minute running time, bring a cushion for the piles Paddy!

Garrett likes this.
  11. padski08

padski08
    Expand Collapse
    YNWA

Can’t wait for the film. Just finished the book but I’ll wait till Netflix release, as I don’t think I could take cinema seat for that length of film again

12. RedPaddy

RedPaddy
    Expand Collapse

Terminator was 2hrs 15 but flew by..didnt know it was on netflix, might watch it on that as I wouldn't expect theres much action so wouldn't neccesitate a cinema trip?!

13. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

One of the kids is mad into WW2, going to take him to Midway over the next few days. Hopefully it's decent.

14. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Just watched joker, it's crazy and worth the watch. Pretty deep in parts.

Garrett likes this.
  15. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Angel has fallen - 3rd in the series (Olympus/London has fallen) proving yet again that while a sequel can sometimes work, carrying on flogging the horse for a 3rd installment of a mildly successful franchise is generally a waste of time, and 2 hours of peoples lives.

Theres an idea for a thread - decent films with mediocre sequels and downright awful subsequent films.
    A few that spring immediately to mind.....

Jaws
    Nightmare on Elm street
    Friday the 13th
    Die hard

16. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Die Hard 3 was my favourite
    Did hard 4 was poor

17. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Die Hard With a Vengeance is a classic, watched it last weekend.

GaryMc likes this.
  18. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Never liked Die Hard 2. Always thought 3 was better.
    Funny how when you're a young kid, sequels always seemed better.
    Probably because they were dumbed down versions so they were more on a kids level?
    Rocky 3 was the best until Rocky 4 came out.
    Return of the Jedi was the best Star Wars movie.
    Jaws 2...I really thought this was better than the original. :oops:

19. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

While I can admit Jaws 2 was a decent sequel, (personally nothing will ever top the original for me) I was more thinking about Jaws 3D, and Jaws the revenge - I never did figure out, why the Great White was hunting the Brody family....were the sharks in the earlier films his parents? Was he a hit-shark hired by concerned members of the Great white community? And why the fcuk did he/she roar like a lion?

Know what you mean about sequels and being a kid, I bet 99% of us ran around the house singing eye of the tiger and throwing shapes at anything that moved (or didnt) after the later Rocky films.

20. Wayne77

Wayne77
    Expand Collapse

Joker is quite deep, great performance by Phoenix.