This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The general news thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Red7778, Aug 4, 2011.

1. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Some craic if Farage becomes the Ambassador.

2. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The use of three white coffins outside holles street hospital last weekend was way out of order

There are many reasons women are in there,I cab see things getting nasty if they continue with such action

GaryMc likes this.
  3. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

And they have the cheek to call them protests peaceful vigils. Why is punishment always the conservative Christians answer when things go their way? When there's a clash of those values the conservatism trumps the christianity for the majority of them.

4. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Trump retweeting Katie Hopkins now.

5. dk.lfc

dk.lfc
    Expand Collapse

RIP Brendan Grace

6. Gerry

Gerry
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Just seen it confirmed

There was a few rumours over night

He lived on our road when I was a kid

While iwasn't a big fan of his comedy

He was a great fella with a lovely family

RIP bottler

7. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

8. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

'Bye girls...pair a wankers', Fr. Fintan Stack. Great character

Brendan was a sound man the one time I happened to meet him. He visited a sick friend of mine when I was visiting at the same time. Got some shock when he walked through the door, had no idea he was coming. Big bloke

9. Sib

Sib
    Expand Collapse

Many years ago, myself and my da were thumbing a lift (that'll tell you how long ago it was) to Carlow. In pulled this brand new Celica, I remember it to this very day. In we got and it was Brendan, I was only a young lad, 8 or 9, terrible nice man and when he found out we were from James street he was delighted with himself he had stopped. He stopped off at the garage and bought me a bag of sweets and coke and dropped us to the door of where we were going. Everytime I drive past the spot of where he picked us up, I remember him with fond memories. A good liberties man, RIP Brendan.

10. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Counter terrorism police have launched an investigation into the leak. The journalist who broke the story has form for giving up sources(the source she gave up got sent down for 8 months) so theres not much chance of her standing tall here.

Liverpool-law likes this.
  11. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

12. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

that 70 day protective certificate only applies to the husband, the wife was told she needs to move out of the house and I presume the kids.

13. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

It's insane to be honest! Hard to feel sorry for the banks when it comes to evictions but this case and a few of the other recent ones shows the difficulties they're faced with by people refusing to pay for their home and tying up the courts for years to drag it out.

14. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

The crazy thing is they these people don't believe what they're doing is in the wrong. In their own bubble.

15. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

16. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

It seems to be a bit of a merry go round in the transport sector by the looks of things. All companies are getting fined for the same thing except Go Ahead has more ambitious targets to meet, seems a bit harsh that the new guy on the block has to hit better targets than the companies that have been doing it for years but I'm sure there's a logic to it. Good to hear that they are seeing an improvement in performance which you would expect to see when they've been doing it a bit longer. How they can ever expect to keep drivers when there's better pay and pensions on offer in the state companies remains to be seen. It seems like their drivers will only ever be a pool of trained staff for the public companies to pick off when the need arises.

17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Go Aheads targets are what they claimed they could deliver when they tendered for the routes. If they want the benefits of privatisation they're going to have to deal with the negatives of it and when you set uunrealistic targets to win a bid,then you have to accept the consequences of failing to meet those targets. They'll be gone out of that market within 5 years.

18. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Only time will tell but I don't see much possibility of them succeeding. I don't agree with the privitisation of vital public services anyway, I'd like to see a significant push by this country towards having a public transport that actually serves the needs of a modern society, one that can get ahead of where we're at instead of constantly chasing our tails but we'd need the green party or someone of the sort in power for that and they bring a lot of bad points with them too.

babbsnads likes this.
  19. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

not the point obviously but the 111 bus is always empty when it passes me, if they were to pick one to neglect this was a good choice

20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

If it's a service not being used much its probably one they're being subsidised to run. The majority of the subsidies the NTA put into public transport is to cover the cost of running non commercially viable routes.

Stevie S likes this.