This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

BT Sport

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Stevieb3186, Jun 24, 2013.

1. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

2. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Received an email from eir about the changes upcoming. 1st of August they lose BT sports from their subscription package .

I know its going to sky, just hope the fee isn't too hefty.

3. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Just got a text message from them to say the same, but not to worry! I can still watch all the Rugby world cup on the Eir sports channels.....whoopie.

Happy coincidence....my 12 month contract runs out with them on 31st July.
    Time to start shopping around to see whos got the best deal on phone/broadband/tv I suppose.

4. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

Nice timing there

5. glen

glen
    Expand Collapse

I’ll be canceling eir for sky in July when my contract runs out

6. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Anyone got any experiences with the Virgin phone/tv/broadband pack? Not particularly interested in getting sports channels regardless as I'm prob gonna go the streaming route for our games.

7. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

I am with them since they started. Not really had any major outages. Was as an issue a
    While back where some pack they installed on our box meant the security conflicted with my work laptop which was a pain. Eventually they resolved it. More better that when they were UPC or NTL.

8. IanoM7

IanoM7
    Expand Collapse

Still in contract but can I cancel eir now they’re losing BT?

9. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

So does this leave us in a position where to get all the sports we've gone from needing Sky and Eir here to now needing Sky, Eir and BT to get everything. This doesn't strike me as good news for the customer at all if that is the case.

10. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

In terms of premier league (Sky and BT) and Champions league (BT) Irish subscribers now have to pay through sky's platform as eir have lost BT package. I was speaking to a sky rep last week who said something will be announced in the next week or so about how they are packaging the BT sports and price. I'd imagine something like sky sports extra on top of sky sports normal package. As an eir broadband customer in contract myself I'm going from getting BT/eir sports free to now hoping sky don't put me over a barrel.

With eir sports you get all the pro 14 rugger games and next years GAA national league games but nothing major to raise large veiwership. They'll be losing customers 10 a penny i'd imagine.

xRedmanLFCx likes this.
  11. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Don't forget Amazon, think they got a few games in the last auction and they kick off this season too...

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/spo...-amazon-prime-dates-live-online-how-to-watch/

I'd have thought that Eir are part of the way towards exiting their sports channel offering, now that they've lost the deal with BT. They still have decent rugby coverage, but I'd not be surprised to see that go next time there's a renewal due.

12. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The Amazon rights do not apply to the ROI. Premier Sports have them for this jurisdiction.

https://www.sky.com/ireland/tv/sports-extra?irct=shop-roi-home-sports-extra-vfn

13. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Didnt the Premier Sports games show on the Eir Sports channels last season? Could very well be mistaken.
    Just wondering if Eir will have ANYTHING to use as a carrott.

14. Dfitzpatrick

Dfitzpatrick
    Expand Collapse

Nearly sure this was on another but if you have sky you will have access to it all (premier sports and bt) obviously expect an add on like bt through sky at the minute, with anyone else it looks like it could be abit sticky for the customer alright.

15. david_w

david_w
    Expand Collapse

I only had Eir for the free BT sports.

Are we allowed opt out if still in contract? Does dropping a channel constitute a change in contract?

Think it's time to get myself a decent IPTV sub.

16. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

There's a lot of virgin media tv subscribers in this country. Is there an option for them to pay Sky for BT package on their platfrom? All a little confusing i know but either way, eir losing bt sports is going to cost us all that subscribe.

17. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

I had Sky on Virgin around 12 months ago but you couldn't get it in HD. SD looks terrible when used of HD

18. mushypea

mushypea
    Expand Collapse

I can only imagine what an Ultra HD viewer would be like trying to watch SD. The quality of viewing is top notch these days matched by the cost unfortunately.

19. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Dont know for sure about the channel changing constituting a"breach of contract" - pretty sure in their terms and conditions there'll be some proviso about "channel line up subject to change", The only one I know of for sure is if the company you deal with change their prices during your contract period, you're entitled to opt out as it that DOES constitute a breach. There was a load of articles back when Eir raised everyones contract by a few euro about a year - 18 months ago, and sent out letters to everyone saying if they didnt want to acept the hike they were free to go, regardless of contract.
    You could have a look in your terms and conditions for some mention about channel line up changes, but like I said, would be VERY surprised if they havent got themselves covered in that regard.

20. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

So now I just use my parents Sky Go on the Xbox and the quality is very good.