This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Liverpool V Tottenham European Cup Final 2019

Discussion in 'Match Day (Closed)' started by LFCRebel, May 18, 2019.

1. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

Mad no thread on thís yet
    Everyone of us would have taken a European Cup final against Spurs if offered at start of season. The fact that we fought right to the end for the league has us telling ourselves that winning the CL is a consolation. What a position to be in.
    We are better than Spurs but in a once off game you never know. We just need to be 100% focused, committed and fight for everything and if we do that we'll bring no 6 home. Wouldn't be a bad consolation price now would it

this likes this.
  2. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

I noticed Spurs players giving little or no time off by poch, klopp giving our boys 5 days holiday,then going to sunny climate training camp. I don't know who is doing it the right way, hopefully our lads don't lose the momentum.

3. this

this
    Expand Collapse

Cannot wait for this. I'm sure the pain of last years defeat is still burning through that squad & I think that could give us the edge. Spurs can be a fantastic team when they want to, for a decent portion of this years game in Anfield they bossed it. Get at them from the first whistle, Mane to be the hero. The LFC players deserve a trophy after this incredible season.

4. Beanokelly

Beanokelly
    Expand Collapse

Firmino has a fitness coach with him on his holiday.

5. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

We beat them twice in the PL this season both in what turned out to be close games in the end but we also finished miles ahead of them in the league. They're also untested at this level so there's a lot going in our favour and I do feel that by any reasonable measure that we've got the better players in most positions.

Our recent run of cup finals is a bit worrying but each game is a fresh start and we are certainly the better team on this occasion than Spurs though it's probably marginal enough overall. How we deal with such an epic league run to not go on to win the thing and that we deal with the loss last year constructively and learn from it are what will decide this one. Just playing our own best game should see us win.

I am worried about the number of people feeling we deserve something out of this season and I'm certain the players won't buy into that, this will be a huge contest and we need to fight tooth and nail to win it, nothing at this level is deserved, only what you actually go out and take!

6. gowinit6times

gowinit6times
    Expand Collapse

Spurs as a club are in unchartered territory getting to the final of the premier European competition for the first time in their history. For Liverpool it's more of a normal situation when you consider that this will be our 4th final in 14 years and the club has effectively built it's reputation in Europe. That tradition does count for something and the experience of preparing for and playing in last years final will also help the current group of players and staff in terms of knowing how to deal with all the nuances involved in the build up. I know the Spurs players are mostly seasoned players but this is the single biggest game played annually in club football and it is difficult to guess how it may affect some of them.

Saying all that we still need to produce a performance worthy of the occasion and after that it will come down to who has the extra bit of quality, a mistake or a bit of luck since it is 90 minutes football and the best team will not necessarily always win. The long 3 week break before this match almost makes it feel like a game stranded in between 2 seasons and it must be difficult to gauge preparation when you are used to playing every 3-7 days for 9 months previously.

7. glen

glen
    Expand Collapse

If we play to our best and spurs play to their best then we will win. We are better than them now just go and prove it.

8. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

If only it was that simple.
    You have to factor in wrong decisions by the officials as well. Or luck as some might call it.
    Red cards, penalty decisions, dodgy goals allowed/disallowed... these are out of our hands.

9. IrishCan

IrishCan
    Expand Collapse

Worried about this holiday... they always come back with some sort of bug after the warm weather training. We were very lethargic during the games after the holiday break this season. If anything it looked like Spurs could do with a holiday more than us at the end of the league.

10. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Var is in final aswell

11. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

Doesn't mean all decisions will be correct.

12. Roll on 19

Roll on 19
    Expand Collapse

Reading there that the new subs rules are in effect for the final.
    Can name a 12 man bench, and if the game goes to extra time, a 4th sub is allowed.

13. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Was it not one player who came back with a bug last time from the training camp? Hardly coming back to cold weather in mid May. Can’t wait for the final myself. Every chance of beating Spurs.

14. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I think We played Spurs twice this season after international breaks and won both games. In the first in particular we should have hammered them.

15. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

Big plus is we’ve just been there last season and think it’s sours as a clubs first time ever in the champions league final
    Plus expecting a fully fit squad to choose from .

#15 ROCCO, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
  16. glen

glen
    Expand Collapse

Very confident of winning this game. If Barca where playing spurs no one would give spurs a chance. We are better than Barca .

17. this

this
    Expand Collapse

We're winning this Ed. I can honestly say I have never been more confident of LFC winning a match. Don't ask me why, but its happening.

18. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I just hope you're right mate, we've put the work in but nothing will be handed to us, Spurs are a tough opposition to meet here regardless of experience but I do feel we have the edge on ability alone so hopefully we play to our best!

19. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

Finals can be weird though. If we can get at them early they will be nervous due to the occasion.

We don't want to give them the time to grow into the game.

20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I could be wrong but I dont think theres any chance they'll want it as much as us. Not that they wont give 100%,of course they will but I think they already consider what they've done in getting to the final a success. We on the other hand will see losing these game as failure and with last seasons final defeat still being so fresh in our minds,I just dont see any way they could have the same level of motivation we have. No better man than Klopp to harness that.

Irishkop96 likes this.