This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Liverpool v Chelsea April 14th 4.30pm

Discussion in 'Match Day (Closed)' started by Liverpool-law, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Yes, we've been saying this a lot. Biggest game of the season so far. We will know the result of the Palace game but regardless if we win this I will begin to believe... Good news is we are at home, Chelsea are playing away tonight in the Europa League. Negatives are Chelsea are in a good run of form, Hazard is playing some of his best stuff, crowd could be very nervy with the magnitude of the match, Chelsea have scored 57 goals in the league so far and they badly need the points for top 4. This is going to be a tough one. Win it and we are on top with Huddersfield Wolves Cardiff and Newcastle to play. Citeh will still have United Spurs and Leicester, Burnley, and Brighton. One thing I would hate to see is people throwing in the towel if we draw, that plays right into citeh's hands taking the pressure off before their toughest run. Pile the pressure on them, don't give up. YNWA

2. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

We haven't beaten Chelsea since 2012 in Anfield which is quite surprising. Time to put it right.

3. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

keep Hazard quiet and win this comfortably.

He is playing savage stuff at the moment, however snuff him out like other teams have done recently and their options are limited.

4. Honda

Honda
    Expand Collapse

Hopefully he doesn't get injured in Prague tonight. :D

5. gowinit6times

gowinit6times
    Expand Collapse

Hadn't realised that we had failed to beat Chelsea at Anfield the last 8 times we played them until I read that somewhere which shows to some extent the difficulty of this fixture. I'd bite your hand off if someone could guarantee that we would come out of the weekend having matched City's result be that a draw or a win. If we lose ground at this stage though it will be an uphill task to win it from there since we are relying on City dropping points twice and us winning all of our remaining matches. Win this game and we are in pole position imo.

Hazard is the main danger cutting in from the left and if we stop him at source from running with the ball and press Jorginho constantly we can win this though we might have to be patient again. Should be a great atmosphere in the ground on Sunday being our third last home match.

6. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

This will be a huge battle, it's a great pity that they're in such a tight contest for top 4. City got a gimme against then when they played them, just our luck that they're in a much better place right now. Expecting a very tight game, not 100% confident of the win but I think we're the better team.

7. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

It occured to me that many of the people who think the pressure of having something to play for makes us play worse,also think other teams having something to play for will make them play better.

8. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

The pressure for top 4 for Chelsea is hardly commensurate with Liverpool challenging for their first league title in over 20 years, it's a specious argument by any stretch!

9. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Even If I was making that argument(I'm not),would it be more specious than taking contradictory positions on how pressure will impact different teams and concluding that the ones who've punched below their weight are more likely to react positively to it than one whose being punching above its weight?

10. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Had to look up the meaning of ‘specious’.

‘Superficially plausible, but actually wrong.’

Going to throw that in a few work meetings going forward.:D

On the pressure on LFC, I think this team is better equipped to deal with pressure.

I know a few years ago there was a lot of commentary around lack of leaders in the team. Back then you had Suarez leading from the front, Stevie and a young enough Henderson. In that Chelsea game in 13/14 it was Stevie and Luis that seemed to losing the heads a bit and shooting from everywhere.

This time around you have VVD, Robertson, Henderson and Milner who hopefully can keep everyone settled if things are not going the right way.

13/14 game will be in the fans heads but luckily very few of this team (think only Henderson) where involved back then, so should have no impact

xRedmanLFCx and Stevie S like this.
  11. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Only one of the current Liverpool squad played that day,see if you can guess who it was:)
    Wasn't Henderson by the way,he was suspended.

12. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Mignolet and Sturridge.

13. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

He's arsed again and fluttering his eyelashes at zizou.

14. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I definitely didn't word that correctly:) I should have said only 1 player who is likely to start.

Anyway,its Salah.

15. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Specious was brought into my life, like a lot of things, by the Simpsons, it's a wonderful word. Symbiotic was one that was dropped into a conversation a few weeks back by someone and I've been trying to shoehorn it into my day to day vernacular ever since.

I think the team have dealt with the pressure incredibly well, the results speak for themselves. It's still there and the players are just getting on with it, the quality shines through and on massive occasions like away in Bayern we just get on with our own game. If we can nail down a big tournament I think the floodgates will open and we'll win a lot, just need to break our duck!

GaryMc likes this.
  16. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

I agree they have been mentally very tough ed but also agree that this particular game is a bit extra. Not just because it is the next game, or that the countdown is on. I think the players are professional and will always say the right things and never admit to it in public but they see the rest of the fixtures like the rest of us and they will really fancy winning those. In actual fact I think the shackles might come off if we beat Chelsea and rather than getting more nervous with each remaining game I think they could blow the final four teams away with confidence. Of course that only comes with beating Chelsea. Otherwise the pressure will increase as we will have dropped more points. That's why this one is massive, and I think different, to the other league games left. I could see a massive release if we win this. Which is why I am so worried about it. :confused:

17. glen

glen
    Expand Collapse

If both teams play to there absolute best we will win. We are better than them all over the pitch. We will win this by at least 2 . In fact we will win all our remaining league games so if city fail to do the same then we win the league.

18. Irishkop96

Irishkop96
    Expand Collapse

Another huge game.. despite our bad form to them..we can't afford drop points. We drop points it's over sadly,as city will probably kick on. We should have enough to beat these boys..hop hopefu the crowd is behind the time rather been nervous. We can't let the city result get to us.

19. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

12th April. 8 months ago the league started and this day next month regardless we will know how it finishes. We are looking fresh and in good shape. 5 wins and it's in the bag.

xRedmanLFCx and Irishkop96 like this.
  20. this

this
    Expand Collapse

Despicable club with a fanbase that continues to find new ways to bring even more shame to its doorstep. Not that they will give a flying, the fat, bald, pig-fuckers. I hope Salah gets a hat-trick. Still can’t believe that stat of not beating them in Anfield for 7 years in the league, last three meetings at home were 1-1. Hopefully Sunday is a different animal. We owe these.