This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

LFC small talk

Discussion in 'General LFC Discussion' started by Dub13, Feb 1, 2013.

1. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

It’s cruel world at times

2. honald_tdb

honald_tdb
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Looks a bit like Saipan to me!

FairviewFowler likes this.
  3. NoName7

NoName7
    Expand Collapse

4. DougieDo'ins

DougieDo'ins
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

The difference being 3 points at Spurs versus last year's hiding

NoName7 likes this.
  5. Ron1892

Ron1892
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

6. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

We only got 1 point in away games vs the Top 6 last season, didn't think we were that bad. We've already got 4 points this season.

NoName7 likes this.
  7. Mico

Mico
    Expand Collapse

NoName7 likes this.
  8. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I will watch later. The entire programme is available on youtube

9. cunnerz21

cunnerz21
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for sharing that Lionel. Although not LFC related but also on mental health in football; you might be interested in giving this podcast a listen. Second Captains sit down with former Ireland international Brian Lenihan who opens up about his struggles with mental health. Found it a really powerful, raw and absorbing listen.

https://www.secondcaptains.com/2018/10/02/episode-1281-the-players-chair-with-brian-lenihan/

redabbey, honald_tdb and GaryMc like this.
  10. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Reading Michael Calvin’s new book and mental health is discussed a lot.

Some terrible stories in there that I had not heard about.

honald_tdb likes this.
  11. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Watched this in full this evening. Tough watch at times.

World closed in on me a bit in 2011 9 months after my Dad died. Threw myself in work, lost interest in a lot things. Stopped playing footie, couldnt sleep properly and head was just all over the shop. Remember LFC playing City at home the day Garry Speed news came through. Had just comeback from stag and did not get out of bed for two days. Didn’t even watch the match. All I could think of was what could go wrong over next few months with work, how things would get sorted out...

Funny enough it was the fact I had no interest in the game that got me to say something wasn’t right. Talked to Boss at work and it’s a day I often look back on. Soon after, Took a few weeks out of work over Xmas and new year, got my head together, changed my role at work, talked to a few people and luckily got back on track. Two of the best pieces of advice was to take up running regularly and take up mindfulness for a few months. Got a CD and book and helped me a lot. Someone had told me that 12 months earlier I would have through they were mad.

Wasn’t an extreme case by any means but if I had let it slide for a few more weeks could have gotten bad.

IrishCan, NoName7, cunnerz21 and 22 others like this.
  12. KopHaney

KopHaney
    Expand Collapse

Powerfull programme

13. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

Great post Gary, very honest and brave.

I'm pleased that it has worked out for you. Good luck mate.

14. Joedared

Joedared
    Expand Collapse

Wow..... How open is that.
    I find the running is great....at times. But even then even during the course of a run....the head can melt.
    Its good to talk too.
    I find your last sentence very thought provoking.

15. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Fair play Gary. Got to a point of work overload about a year ago where I was pretty much hyperventilating from stress. Couldn't sleep, lying in a pool of sweat in the bed. Spoke to work, got a bit of the load shared around and haven't looked back. I think we forget that bosses are much more aware of stress now and are willing to help. Was just speaking to the boss this morning about world mental health day yesterday and they are looking at bringing in more flexi-hours and other mindfulness stuff for the staff. Talking to people is absolutely key.

I find running is great for clearing the head. If you get up to a bit of a longer distance, I get to a place where there is just the rhythm of my runners hitting the road and my mind is completely blank. Great feeling.

16. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

To be honest watching the documentary last night was first time I thought about it in detail in years. Good thing at the time was a few people had noticed the change in how I was acting in work and less socialable in general. I’d say to anyone if you notice a change in how people close to you are acting, see what is up with them. Might be nothing major however could be something troubling.

17. honald_tdb

honald_tdb
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Massive respect and empathy for anyone who’s suffered and is suffering from any mental health issues - and those who’s loved ones are ill. Been a survivor for past 13 years, dodged the bullet a few times thanks to the support of my family and professionals. As alluded to by Jason in the film, it’s the scariest feeling in the world, being on the edge.

Talking and gaining an understanding of the warning signs were the turning points. Seeking help of others and watching out for those struggling is the best we can do. Tomorrow will always be better and worth sticking around for. YNWA.

18. FairviewFowler

FairviewFowler
    Expand Collapse

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45173675

Solanke back among the goals again. Be interesting to see how the rest of his season pans out. Can imagine he'll be most hit by the League Cup exit. Still huge potential.

Also is there a thread of Reds in international action?

19. KopHaney

KopHaney
    Expand Collapse

Good piece in the red all over the land fanzine on sunday last. The lad that wrote it has a book coming out in December "Mad, Sad, Dysfunctional Dad" Fanzine piece was no holds barred about his own experiences on the subject. Stephen Gillett the lads name, the book will be able to download on theconradpress.com

20. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Yes I read that a good read. Had a bad spell myself two years back and a slip earlier in the year but all good now. Lots of help out there.

GaryMc, honald_tdb and babbsnads like this.