This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The Property Market

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Captain_Morgan, Aug 20, 2013.

1. byrnetred

byrnetred
    Expand Collapse

2. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

3. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

4. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Yep,we're a fucking basket case. I can literally see houses out of my window now that are up for 465k because they're in D15.They'd be not much more than 300k if they were a couple of hundred yards closer.

5. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I cant believe people staying our for days to buy a new house.

babbsnads likes this.
  6. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Having recently been looking to buy a house in Dublin 15 I can honestly say that I do understand, it's a mess out there. The second hand market is all ex rentals which need massive work and the supply of decent family homes just isn't there.

Babbs I know exactly the homes you're talking about, they come with management fees too. I walked away from them about a year ago when they went from 350 to 400 for no reason in the second phase. Grand houses but nothing special.

7. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Jaysis Ed,we could of been neighbours.Im not going to lie,I'm a bit hurt that you didn't think living near me was worth that extra 50k.

Garrett, honald_tdb, GaryMc and 2 others like this.
  8. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I just couldn't handle the stress of the daily arguments, if I wanted Lyons tea you'd have wanted Barry's!

9. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

So,

We've a different party ruling the country, we've apparently learnt vital lessons from the last recession and property crash, and yet we're doing all the exact same things all over again:

- not building enough houses for a young and expanding population
    - not planning and developing our infrastructure in conjunction with housing needs and development
    - permitting property prices to rocket up without any controls in place

.... what was it Einstein apparently said about insanity ?

I'm genuinely sympathetic to anyone trying to buy a place to live as once again, it's a massive challenge.

Best I can suggest is to grasp the nettle, as all signs are that property prices won't be coming down in the next few years and ultimately, everyone needs somewhere to live so better to try and pay your own mortgage, than someone elses. If buying a starter home and hoping to trade up in a few years, buy where there's already a rail line of some sort, or at worst, near one of the proposed new Metro lines. This way, you should have some sort of reliable public transport in years to come, or the property will offer some level of attraction to tenants if you ever need to rent it out etc.

Buying in a farmer's field in the ar$ehole of nowhere makes no more sense now than it did when people were buying in places like Mulingar or Longford 14 years ago, unless you happen to have a very good reason to want to live in that location for the long term.

10. Mico

Mico
    Expand Collapse

150 grand in price difference makes a lot of sense.
    I live in am estate on the outskirts of town. Houses are hitting the 270 mark. Nearly a rise of 100k in less than 12 months.
    My friend is buying a house in the country(not a flashy country area) for about 120k on am acre site and maybe a 20 minute drive from me.

Sorry for bringing up old post. Just came across it.

11. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Not at all, it's every bit as relevant today as it was two months ago mate.

The purchase price is important, sure....

As I said above, it makes no sense though unless you have a very good reason to want to live in that location for the very long term.

That 20 minute journey that you refer to, imagine if he'd to make that journey both ways, 5 days a week for the next 20 years ... much time is that and what's the cost to him, if you've to put a price on it ?

If you work locally, then it's great, happy days. But if you don't, then you've signed up for a longer commute to work every day for many years to come.

Prices go up and prices go down. If you look at what happened to prices last time, they rocked up in the boom and collapsed in the recession, both in cities and in rural Ireland, but there was one big and important difference... houses in the cities and large towns could be sold in reasonable time frames, but not in much of rural Ireland where the market essentially froze for a couple of years - so that meant anyone who needed to sell, was stuck were they were. There were documentaries on tv about this years ago, with people buying in rural Ireland as a "starter home" and thinking they could trade up, but then found they couldn't.

Then think about day to day resources, street lights, broadband, access to shops, schools, decent water system, road network etc. Not as easy to come by in rural Ireland as they are in the cities.

There's a premium to be paid for living in a town or city and I know that money doesn't grow on trees, but as I said above, it makes no sense to live in rural Ireland unless you've a very good reason to live there for the long term.

liver06 likes this.
  12. Mico

Mico
    Expand Collapse

This house is located close to all amenities.
    I agree with the commute to work, it's maybe 20 to 25 mins for both people.
    Where I am less than two minutes drive or about 6 minutes walk(not that I walk).
    This house is seen as a "starter" house and I fully agree with your opinion of been stuck with it. It's probably more fact than opinion and it's not something I thought would have been an issue due to the amount of rural properties looked at and bid on. There seemed to be many bidders on all properties and hence increasing all prices. But as you say, we are probably entering a bit of a boom so when things go not so well it is harder to shift a property more rural but there's also the factor of who is out there and what they are looking for

13. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

20-25 minute commute is nothing to be honest, if you can live and work outside of Dublin City centre then you're absolutely laughing, it's an absolute joke of a situation for both renters and people looking to buy in the city right now. The commuter towns are getting hit hard again as people are forced to move further and further out. New house prices seem to be jumping up at ludicrous amounts, in my estate I've seen houses go up by more than €100K since this the start of last year with no change in the spec or layout of the house.

I think what Garrett is referring to is anyone that is pushing themselves out of Dublin and it's normal commuter belts into the likes of Portloais or that and are commutting daily. I know of a few that do it and I don't know how they survive the stress of it. I work with a chap in town that commutes ever day from Athenry in Galway, it's not a decision he made in buying a house, he was already living there and took the job in Dublin so was seemingly okay with the whole thing.

Mico likes this.
  14. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Started following the activities of Take Back The City after their initial protests about the masked goons being helped by the Cops.

Just seen the latest post on social media where they have occupied AirBnb and have made a list of frankly laughable demands. Think this will alienate a lot of people.

AirBnb has its faults but blaming that business for the housing crisis seems a big leap to me. The fault lies with the government bailing out their buddies in the banks and developers. During the recession they should have used the money they bailed out the banks with to build social housing at low cost knowing eventually the country would bounce back. It Would have kept more people in work and you’d have a lot more affordable homes now.

A lot of their points are valid around homelessness, something drastic needs to Done by the government, however they continue down this road, they are going get no support and it will fizzle out. All their focus seems to be on city centre of Dublin however you have ghost estates all over Ireland that are lying rotten. Why not occupy them? Why can’t folks housed in hotels not be relocated to them to get back on their feet. Prioritise hotels or houses for folks who have kids that need to be near their school.

The government need to look at countries that have dealt this problem well and get expert and economists in to help them plan for a solution instead of the usual boom/bust cycle. Was hoping they would have announced something like that in the budget instead they give tax breaks to landlords and now every landlord is thinking how can they exploit this new regulation. However it will probably have bought them a few votes which is their primary concern.

#34 GaryMc, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  15. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Haven't really been following the Take Back The City movement. In general I'm not a believer in taking over somebody else's property,telling them what they must or should do with their own property,squatters rights etc. but there's far worse stuff being done legally and illegally by landlords and government so I'm not sure where I stand on the whole thing,but something has to give. I've been convinced all along that the government were determined to make sure house prices got back up to Celtic Tiger levels and were never going to intervene in a meaningful way to arrest the crisis until that happened.

I still don't expect meaningful intervention even though the idea that the market can sort itself out here is beyond stupid.Fine Gael gets a lot of its votes from people who've paid top whack for their houses and to many of those the thoughts of somebody getting similar property to them much cheaper or as part of a social housing project,is not acceptable. FG need to balance their need to pander to their base with political pressure so we'll keep seeing token gestures as well as measures "to incentivise" private landlords to rent out their properties with no real rent control.There will still be a housing crisis in 5 years time and either FG or FF will still be in power. The fact of the matter is far too many while talking about what a disgrace the housing crisis is,get angrier about what that women who slept in the police station with her kids is getting from the state.

16. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

17. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Farmers are part of the demographic that "get up early in the morning" ie, them and their communities are votes FG and FF need. A small percentage of those effected by the housing crisis or protesting against it would ever vote for those parties.Furthermore a lot of FF and FG voters would actually enjoy the heavy handed approach to the "want everything for nothing" brigade.

18. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

19. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

This entire situation is doing my head in....

If we stand by the principals of how our nation was founded, then we look after those who (genuinely) can't look after themselves, but we also put an end to those who ride the ar$e of the rest of us.....

However, in modern Ireland, our politicians bullsh1t away with no end in sight, think they fool everyone, but deliver jack sh1t ... and yet, the same politicians get voted in time and time again...

Where we are really going as a nation, I've absolutely no idea. Are we keeping to our principals from when Ireland was first declared a Republic - No, but are we actually clear in where we are going instead, again my answer is No.

We live in a country where too many take the pi$$ and get away with it, while the others that don't take the pi$$ carry the can for those fraudsters that do, and in the middle of it all, those who genuinely need help get left behind and suffer all the more.

Wealthy farmers worth millions in assets going tax free while moaning about the lack of broadband, drug dealers living in corporation houses paying fuk all tax or rent while driving 182 mercs, while those in need live in sleeping bags on the streets ... My Ireland, a country I'm so proud to live in, me hole !

20. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Farmers not paying taxes and drug dealers in council houses? Swap the word Britain's for Ireland's in the first paragraph of that article I posted and you're falling into that bracket. Fair enough you mention the government's ineptitude and your exasperation that we keep voting them in but you're playing their game for them because you're spreading the message they'd want you to spread,you're concentrating on the wrong end of the scale of people taking advantage of this country. They'll continue with the rhetoric that they'll get tougher on the people that upset you the most while largely ignoring things that would actually make a tangible difference because it would negatively impact vulture funds,banks,big business,developers,landlords etc.

Yours is a very common attitude in this country and on its own there's nothing wrong with it(although I'm not sure why you have it in for farmers,you know we were allowing vulture funds charitable status,yes?)but the idea that tackling those issues will make a real dent in the problems we're facing is woefully simplistic because that would be tackling the symptoms rather than the cause. A family with the parents both earning the average wage can't afford to buy or even rent privately in most of our cities.Clawing back a chunk of social welfare fraud,getting a few extra cuid off farmers and freeing up 30 or 40 houses from the drug dealers in their Mercs is all well and good but its a drop in the bucket and won't make things any more affordable for that family but FG want us to blame social welfare cheats for that families situation.