This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Spartak Moscow 6th Dec 19:45KO RTE & BT SPORTS

Discussion in 'Match Day (Closed)' started by moejoe54, Dec 3, 2017.

1. carramagic

carramagic
    Expand Collapse

Wait until we buy a defence and keeper! On our current four vs Suarez et al I'd take our current four on current form. Suarez probably the best out of all of them but if Salah keeps up his form he'll be just as good. Coutinho is a far better player than he was and we have unbelievable pace now too. Firmino brings so much to the team too. It going to be interesting how many goals they all end up with at the end of the season. Firmino hasn't many in the league but can't stop scoring in Europe. Coutinho is really chipping in goals wise too. Salah is heading for record breaking figures.

2. dubit10

dubit10
    Expand Collapse

Got home very late last night from the match but by jesus was it worth it. Serious team in the making and potential winners if the manager can sort the defense out with a new keeper and centre back in January. I'd fancy us to beat anyone left in the tournament over two legs on that type of form.

I think it's pretty obvious Milner should be playing a bigger role in the match day teams but it's hard to argue with anything Klopp is doing at present. His rotating of players is keeping them all fresh coming into the vital Xmas/January period where we fell apart last season.

3. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

It says something about the craziness of this team that we have more 7 - 0 results than 1 - 0 results so far this season. :D:D

4. dantheman23

dantheman23
    Expand Collapse

You'd wonder why would Coutinho want to leave. It looks like so much fun to be part of.

Garrett and babbsnads like this.
  5. dantheman23

dantheman23
    Expand Collapse

Except trophies and shit like that :)

6. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

I don't mean to burst any bubbles but Spartak really were awful last night. If they had played with as much passion as their fans sung at 7 nil down, the scoreline would have been less embarrassing.

A 7-0 scoreline at that level is shocking and their players should be ashamed of themselves. They are Russian Champions? Pitiful.

I don't want to take away from our performance, especially up front, but we shouldn't be carried away by the result. It was great, there were some lovely goals and we are a better team than them but it shouldn't be by seven goals.

Tougher challenges lie ahead.

Garrett and Liverpool-law like this.
  7. Niall

Niall
    Expand Collapse

Really enjoyed that last night. Hard to beat when the reds win.

babbsnads and dk.lfc like this.
  8. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Your specific aim was to burst bubbles which is completely fine but don't open with the line "I don't mean to burst any bubbles"

Everyone we play and beat has been rubbish this season. It's as if as we have gotten better everyone else is gone rubbish.

9. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

Nail on head Dan.

When we take our red tinted glasses off, how many of us really think that we will be challenging for a PL title in the next 3 years. With the money behind Citeh, the rags and Chelsea, will we really compete?

I expect that someone like Coutinho is looking to next 2/3 years as the prime of his career. As much as it must be enjoyable to play last night, he will look to win silverware and feel that he is good enough to do that at other clubs if he doesn't think that he will at LFC. This is why Suarez went together with the draw that Barca seems to hold for South American players.

I expect that Phil would only leave LFC for City, Chelsea, Bayern, PSG, Real or Barca because he sees them as teams likely to challenge for trophies season in, season out. Unfortunately, they are likely to be the teams in for him. Hazard to Real is mooted. Neymar leaves a spot in Barca and there could be another one in PSG if Di Maria goes. Bayern will overhaul as Ribery, Robben etc move on.

Leaving the red tinted glasses off, I can see why he would move. Whilst we have a wonderful front 4 and Keita will add quality, we're nowhere near Real, Barca or PSG. I don't dismiss our chances over a 2 leg game and that's why we'll have a go at the CL (like 2005) but we're nowhere near City in the league for good reason.

Phil can see that too. I don't mean to be deliberately pessimistic but last night's game won't sway Phil one way or the other, I expect.

10. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

My post above crossed with yours Ed.

Your analysis of my post, with respect, misunderstands my point. We are getting better and results are proving that. I don't suggest at all that other teams are getting rubbish. Spartak's performance was embarrassing last night. They're not rubbish, they are Russian champions and beat Sevilla 5-1. But to carried away with last night, and I'm not suggesting that you are, is naive. Enjoy the performance and the result but put it in context also.

11. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Why would you ever take off the red tinted glasses? Where's the fun in that?

DalglishGold, Niall and babbsnads like this.
  12. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Another context for that result is that it was the latest in a long line of devastating attacking performances.Thats 8 times in our last 9 games that we've scored 3 or more.Whether it was another 3 goals last night or the 7 we got,it's still a sign of the attacking talent the team has.If you can't get a bit carried away when your team is doing that,then when can you? I remember 13/14 and it was March before a lot of people allowed themselves to get excited and they missed out on getting as much enjoyment from that team as they could of and were just as gutted as those of us who did when we fell short.Im not telling anybody else how to do football but what this team have been doing since Spurs is a bit special and my favourite thing about football, so I'm happy to get carried away.I think we could win it and if we get smashed by the first top team we face in the competition,I won't feel naive for having thought that.But then again every football supporter is irrational with certain aspects of the game and this might be one of those aspects for me.

Garrett, Skintown Red, Sib and 2 others like this.
  13. Brego888

Brego888
    Expand Collapse

Fantastic attacking performance against a poor naive team playing a high line. The only way to play against Liverpool is to sit in deep.
    But what a fab 4 we have!

14. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

Excellent point Babbs - I think a part of me has 13/14 buried in my sub-conscious.

I remember my son (8 at the time) asking after the United away match (3-0 win) "can we win the league Dad?" and I remember telling him not to get carried away. I loved that team because of Suarez and the football played but i think that you are right - I can't recall enjoying it because deep down I never believed that we would do it. Something would screw it up and I was right (not that I was pleased to be).

Throw in the fact that I'm a Drogheda United fan and you might appreciate the Victor Meldrew attitude to this season also!!:)

Garrett and babbsnads like this.
  15. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

I'm regularly accused of being the most negative poster on this site so you don't need to remind me to not get carried away but even I can see that the way the team is playing at the moment is pretty awesome, that's not getting carried away, that's being realistic (Brighton had only conceded 7 goals all season at home before facing us last weekend). I don't expect Liverpool to ever win a league while the league remains as it is because there's too many teams with better resources to manage a 38 game season but I don't get too upset about it. 13/14 was my favorite season as a football fan (assuming that was Rodgers tilt at the title year), it was incredible and I don't think we won a single trophy. Every fan is different but I've learned to enjoy the good times with Liverpool and that's often a short term thing like a run we're on at the moment or a run to a cup final because if all that can make you happy is a League win then it's a pretty grim outlook as a football fan because we're a long time without one and could go another long time yet without one.

Also my big issue with your post was opening with "I don't want to burst any bubbles" when it was in fact the aim of your post.

16. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

Don't get me wrong mate,what you're saying makes sense on a lot of levels and you can't make yourself excited about something that's happening,you either are or you aren't. But ive always thought find enjoyment in your hobbies where you can because Lord knows, this particular one often finds a way to make you miserable:)

DalglishGold likes this.
  17. LFCRebel

LFCRebel
    Expand Collapse

I can't see how any supporter could have a season where we won nothing ahead of 2005 or 2001?
    To me its madness but that's my opinion.
    2005 and 2001 were my 2 favourite years supporting Liverpool by far.

kopdub likes this.
  18. DalglishGold

DalglishGold
    Expand Collapse

The years between 1977 and 1990 were mine Rebel. I'm afraid to say that, although they are a distant memory, I'm old enough to remember them well!!

If pushed, the team with Aldo, Beardsley, Whelan, Barnes etc were my favourite. The years 1986 to 1989 were exciting save the lack of european football.

Garrett likes this.
  19. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

If we destroy the toffees, I think you'll see a lot more people start to get excited and become more upbeat, Babbs.

There's an element of this that depends on who the opposition are, so if we rip through a couple of our old rivals, that'll have a massive impact on general fan moral imho. Just think about putting 5,6 or 7 past the likes of the blue noses, the mancs etc. ;)

DalglishGold likes this.
  20. ROCCO

ROCCO
    Expand Collapse

There’s a lot to be upbeat about , unbeaten in 9 and scoring 34 goals in that time with Salah flying and Mane Coutinho and Firmino joining him .
    In the knockout stages of the champions league and sitting 4th in the league .
    Defensively personally think we’re improving as well and Lallana close to getting in the mix