This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

running thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SUPERFAN, Mar 14, 2013.

1. redabbey

redabbey
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Blessed might be a serious understatement.

2. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

5 mins away, used to live even closer.
    I've seen most of the programme(s) but not all of it, not sure if they showed it but my favourite part of the park is the furry Glen, love running through there.

3. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

XC starts back tomorrow, going to try and do all the races this season.

4. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Some lads in my club love the XC, "we" are in fact All Ireland XC Champions.

5. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Jaysus that was rough this morning, was supposed to do 16 miles but the legs were fcuked, cut it short at 10, I'll go for a walk for about an hour later.
    I've learned not to be a slave to these training plans and to listen to the body, it was bleedin screaming at me this morning.
    Hope everyone else's runs went well this weekend, won't be long now.

6. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

At least we have the running to take our minds of the football. How is the taper going for you all..?

7. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Should've waited till 4 o clock to go for me run today.

mousey and Dub13 like this.
  8. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

9. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Too close to Dublin, I know a lot of people do both but not for me.

10. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I was only talking to @megager about this today. I was of the same opinion but some lads in the club changed my mind. Its better than doing a Spring marathon and then Dublin, that's basically 6/7 months of training in the year. Next year Berlin is a bit earlier, its Sept 16th. So 6 weeks or so before Dublin, there are training plans out that cater for close marathons.

11. Dub13

Dub13
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

In saying that you could maybe only target one for a great time.

12. mousey

mousey
    Expand Collapse

The weather today for final long run was a huge bonus. Hopefully we get more of the same next Sunday. Was blown out of it yesterday doing a 4 mile..

13. kaiser_del

kaiser_del
    Expand Collapse

did 10 miles yesterday morning in the Phoenix park. Found it chilly enough, made me think about what to wear on Sunday if its windy and chilly.

i think from the 15 mile mark on i might cool down so i'm not sure whether to bring a raincoat, gloves or hat. Anyone else in the same boat or any advice?

the last 2 weeks I've got talking to an older man(in his 60's) and he had a brain tumor removed only last month but still wants to do the marathon. He advised me to bring extra gear because you'll cool a lot + put me on to the salt tablets too.

14. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

@kaiser_del try and get your hands on a couple of compression tops, a sleeveless one and a long sleeved one. The sleeveless ones are great for colder weather and the long sleeved ones are great for the rain. Them 2 and a short and long sleeved running top are all you really need, mix and match depending on the temperature/rain.
    Yesterday I had sleeveless compression top and long sleeved running top on and it was fine, that's what I'll be going with next Sunday if conditions are similar.
    Doubt it'll be cold enough to need a hat or gloves.

15. kaiser_del

kaiser_del
    Expand Collapse

Ah thanks a million for the tips. I've compression tops from football, some are for colder weather and some lighter. I wore the running tights yesterday too but probably wont need them next week as long as its not Baltic.

16. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

I find the long sleeved ones too uncomfortable unless it's raining heavy, if it's cold but dry I find they keep my arms too warm.
    I've 3 sleeveless and 1 long sleeved, hardly ever wear the long sleeved.

17. mousey

mousey
    Expand Collapse

One rookie mistake I made two years ago was not brining an old top to wear while you are standing around waiting to get going.. you see loads of people discarding of these tops at the starting line just before the gun goes off. would definitely recommend brining one.

I'd agree with Willie, don't think a hat and gloves will be necessary. At least I hope not anyway o_O

18. SUPERFAN

SUPERFAN
    Expand Collapse

Yeah an old heavy top you don't mind getting rid of is a good idea for wearing before the start, just ditch it to the side before the race starts.

19. kaiser_del

kaiser_del
    Expand Collapse

Cheers mate, i think ill leave the hat and gloves so. might stuff a raincoat into the running belt and throw it on if i cool down for a while. I'll go with the sleeveless compression top under the t-shirt too.

In terms of carb-loading this week what approach would you guys take in terms of meals? I'm a pasta/chicken or fish/rice man. Just trying to figure out what to add to that.

20. mousey

mousey
    Expand Collapse

I've tried to read up a bit on the carb loading myself. I really think it depends on the person. I've tried to eat clean for the past few weeks. I think you are on the right road with the above foods. I'll eat pasta Sat night alright. This week will eat dinners as normal with a mixture of carbs and protein. Drink loads of water.

I got into the habit of having porridge at 7am the morning of my longest runs to get used to eating so early on race day. Will bring my own porridge and rock down to the hotel kitchen to use their microwave.

porridge, banana and a berrocca boost - then out the door!

6 gels and granola bar for race fuel.. again everyone is different here.