This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

TV shows to avoid

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Stevie S, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Obviously opinion based and I hold my hands up to liking more realistic t.v., so I'll give the likes of Star Trek a break as it's just not for me

Prison Break. From a few episodes into the 2nd series it is some of the poorest stuff I've seen. I stuck it til end series 3 I think as series 1 had been so good. I read there has been a new series, I couldn't be paid enough (I'm sure I could) to go back to this. They should have been caught every 5 minutes

Revenge. See above. Went completely daft. Told my girlfriend to let me know when Emily's dad eventually came out of hiding. Nonsense

Big Bang Theory. This is supposed to be a comedy. It's never made me laugh and I've sat through bits and pieces. Mainly to prove myself right

Mrs Brown's Boys. See above... Brendan is a good lad and I don't begrudge him with the amount he does for charity. Can't believe he gets away with the state of the Christmas specials I've watched with my mam.

Don't tell the Bride Ireland. I like most Irish versions of stuff and give them a chance. But the lads on this must be told they're not getting on unless they do something off the wall. Last one I saw the groom had the reception in Ikea. Fuck off

Feel free to save your forumites their time. I'm sure I'll think of more

djdwainec likes this.
  2. djdwainec

djdwainec
    Expand Collapse

Great idea for a thread , very interested to see what comes up. I actually totally disagree with prison I really enjoyed every season including the new ones.

Totally agree with you about Big Bang theory at most there's some very mild comedy in it but very little you'd actually laugh at in my opinion

Stevie S likes this.
  3. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Prison Break season 1 excellent, season 2 average, 3 bizarre and 4 painful.

Any one who has not looked at it, I would go 1, 2 and 5. 5 has a bit of Homeland feel to it.

Shows for one reason of another I watched and never stuck with where Orange is New Black, Dexter and Luther. Luther surprised me in that I was not mad on it, so might give it another bash.

Cant stand Mrs Brown Boys, people saying it's better than Father Ted should get themselves looked about.

One show I can't stand is League of Their Own. Seems very rehearsed and every show seems the same one liners.

Shane_90, Fran74 and Stevie S like this.
  4. bobby benitez

bobby benitez
    Expand Collapse

Power is absolutely awful and I was told by severe people it was excellent.

Echo what has been said about Mrs Brown's Boy's, painful TV.

Shane_90 likes this.
  5. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Some of the acting in Power is dreadful however I have a feeling I know why Power is pretty popular. Some of the extra caricular scenes are quite engaging :D

Shane_90 likes this.
  6. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

When I logged in tonight and saw this thread....

I was expecting to see a load of people giving out about Sky's new show - Riviera. I've not watched it yet, been hearing mixed reviews on it on the radio today etc. so I won't say anymore until I've watched a bit of it.

Not at all surprised to see Mrs. Brown's Boys mentioned on this thread. Much like everyone else here, I was delighted to see Brendan "make it" but equally, I just can't believe he's made it with this sh1te.... he's capable of far better stuff than what he's got going with this show. I tried one episode, struggled to watch the entire thing but it's put me off for life I'm afraid.

Fair City has to get a mention on this thread too - it's a head wrecking load of sh1ite with some of the worst acting and poorest story lines I've ever seen in my life (and that includes a Christmas play I was a part of in primary school when I was about 10). I was praying that they might cancel it with selling off part of the RTE campus in Donnybrook where they've built the set, but it turns out they intend to rebuild it somewhere else in Donnybrook now (why they can't build it somewhere cheaper than Donnybrook, now they have to relocate is a whole other issue btw - but lets not inconvenience the overpaid at RTE ffs....:rolleyes:).

Getting back to Sky (and in agreement with Garry above), that rubbish A League of Their Own and any other crap quiz show that they've stuck Jamie Rednapp into all falls under the one banner here too ! Whatever about having him do the very odd appearance as a commentator on Sky Sports for a match, that's where it's gotta end. More pi$$ poor rubbish tv imho.

#6 Garrett, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  7. babbsnads

babbsnads
    Expand Collapse

I really like The Big Bang Theory and although it seems to be almost compulsory to hate Mrs. Brown,I quite enjoy it.Cheesy as fuck, and a lot of old jokes but for whatever reason,it makes me laugh.

Tried the first 2 episodes of Prison Break and couldn't take to the main character,something about him really anoyed me so knocked it on the head.I'd also avoid anything with Zombies.I'd recommend to anybody who hasn't started Better Call Saul yet,don't,it's piss poor.

8. Daz

Daz
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

won't repeat some of the above but add that '13 reasons why' crap.

9. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Love Mrs Browns Boys myself I must admit, I'd nearly call it a guilty pleasure except it's so popular it's not really guilty.

Couldn't get into Orange is the New Black at all and gave up after a few episodes. I can stomach most any show and will struggle through a lot that I've committed to just because I've started them. Better Call Saul is a massive exception, made it to about half way through the second series and just wondered why I was watching it, felt like a show that was always about to get somewhere and then it would just go flat again.

Reality TV is my massive hate, I can't stand any of it from Big Brother to Kardashians and everything in between. 16 and pregnant is my personal hatred and the wife loves it, I think less of her when I find her watching it :)

babbsnads likes this.
  10. elvis

elvis
    Expand Collapse

Say Yes To The Dress. I think the missus is trying to hint at something. But it won't be happening no matter how much I'm subjected to this shite.

I just don't understand how people can actively sit, watch and take an interest in shows like this.

11. GaryMc

GaryMc
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Watched about 10 minutes of that Love Island the other day. It basically summed up everything that is wrong with the world today. Really stupid people trying to get famous by saying mad things and making a fool of themselves for money. It mirrors real life where you have clowns like Donald Trump and Boris Johnson are the forefront of politics by acting like idiots most of the time, however somehow being very popular among society.

12. LFCToohey

LFCToohey
    Expand Collapse

Riverdale, Gave it as much time as i could and eventually watched the whole series just to see what actually happened and it was muck. Acting terrible and a shocking ending.

13. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

There's a few shows I gave up after only one episode. They may be very good but I just thought 'not for me'....Elementary, Daredevil, Iron Fist, The 100, Falling Skies.
    But there's some I wasted far too much time on and regret ever giving them a chance... 13 Reasons Why, The Five, Rectify, The Leftovers, Continuum, Firefly.
    Reality shows are the worst and I wouldn't even think about giving one a go.

You can define a 'good' drama, thriller, horror etc but you can't really define a good comedy so I won't list what I think are crap comedy shows.
    It's too subjective.

14. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Having not watched a second of any of the above I feel you made the right decision

I'll probably watch a episode of 13 Reasons Why just so I know what people are talking about

Doctor Who just came to me. Never watched anything other than an ad for it. Guarantee I'd hate it

15. vodkacolly

vodkacolly
    Expand Collapse

I watched it as a kid...Tom Baker and Peter Davison were the only ones I liked (I'm guessing it was before your time)
    Seen clips of recent seasons and it still looks like a kids tv show.
    But I have mates in their 40s who still watch it o_O
    It's a bit like adults watching soaps or WWE...no harm in it at all but I just don't understand it.

16. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Yeah child of the 90s and didn't have BBC so I've missed the boat on ever liking Dr Who. No idea what it's even about!

17. RedRuairi

RedRuairi
    Expand Collapse

I have tried 4 times to get past episode 3 of Game of Thrones - just don't see it (I'm probably the only person in the world not to have watched it :D )

18. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

If your not into swords, dragons, an initially complicated/confusing story line (and the odd bit of nudity) then it's not for you mate :)

19. RedRuairi

RedRuairi
    Expand Collapse

The nudity wasn't the issue :D Must be dragons and swords ;)

Garrett likes this.
  20. Liverpool-law

Liverpool-law
    Expand Collapse
    Subscriber

Some great shouts in here,

Fair City (any soap really but that is really bad)
    Any reality tv show, watch one episode of each and that is basically it for every single one of those shows
    Doctor Who - I actually watch and read a lot of sci fi but I cannot understand the popularity of this.

I finally packed in The Walking Dead early in the last series and I can't say I miss it at all, it went to shit.
    I will split opinion with this one but Lost. It splits the audience into two parts, those who say they had no fucking clue what they were writing, made it up as they went along, then realised they couldn't tie it all together so just dropped loads of story lines, the other part believe it was all about "the characters". I am in the first group, what a waste of fucking time that was.

elvis and Garrett like this.