This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Car Insurance Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by barrydoherty, Mar 30, 2016.

1. barrydoherty

barrydoherty
    Expand Collapse

Basically long story short. Around 2 years ago I was involved in a minor collision. Someone has put a claim in against me due to whiplash, It still hasn't been settled but what I have heard from my lawyer few months back that they were trying to settle outside court. I have heard nothing since.

So at the moment for "How many years' no-claims bonus do you have?" Is the answer to that none because of this ongoing claim against me or do I ignore that because nothing has been settled.

Also for the "In the last five years, have you had or caused any accidents, claims or damage involving any motor vehicle (including cars, motorbikes and/or vans), even if no claim was made and regardless of blame?"

If I select "Accident - Not settled and persons injured"

Then it asks me what was the total cost of the claim. Its not settled yet so there is no cost but if Input 0. I get the
    "The cost of the claim must be between £50 and £9,999,999"

I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

2. edcarroll02

edcarroll02
    Expand Collapse

Hi Barry, while I don't actually know the answer to your question my first stop would be trying to source your insurance through a broker. My brother was in the same situation and went through one and they got him a good deal and were able to guide him through all of the process involving outstanding claims etc.

Someone else may be able to offer more help but it's probably not a bad start going to a broker.

barrydoherty likes this.
  3. barrydoherty

barrydoherty
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. I may have a look into insurance through a broker to see.

It's just a pain. Im have always did it through the go-compare site and its a 10 minute job and i find the cheapest and its gone for another year. Just dunno what to fill in this year and my current insurance aren't doing Northern Ireland anymore.

Anymore advice or answers and I would be very grateful.

4. corkred

corkred
    Expand Collapse

Barry, it is my understanding that unless you had a step back bonus or full no claims bonus protection on the policy, your bonus would of been deleted at renewal date following the date of the accident.

Even though the claim may be outstanding you should be earning your bonus again at each renewal date which is normally 1yr = 10%, 2yr = 20% and so on normally upto 5 years = 50%.

So Barry with a claim outstanding more than likely you will be unable to get an online quote until claim is settled. As others suggest your best bet would be to go to a broker and let them do the shopping for you or stay with existing Insurer till claim settled.

5. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

I work in insurance for my sins. No company will take you on while there is an open claim.
    It will say what your no claims bonus is on your renewal but you are stuck with the company you are with no until the claim is settled.

6. prendy

prendy
    Expand Collapse

sorry to bump an old thread but anyone here work in or know anything about car insurance?
    I recently switched insurer (last week) but only seen today that they want me to send the No claims discount proof. I was with Axa for the last 2 years and FBD for 8 before that. Do I only need to send the NCD proof from my last insurer?

7. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

Yes. AXA will have your full bonus so just send them that letter. No need to get one from FBD.

prendy likes this.
  8. jenno86

jenno86
    Expand Collapse

AXA will have it but get on to them about it. I changed from them a few years ago and it took the ages to send it out.

But when they did they gave me a extra year on it which was nice and ended up getting a refund from FBD then!

prendy likes this.
  9. Mico

Mico
    Expand Collapse

Keep getting this on a few insurance sites "Unfortunately we are unable to quote for your circumstances at this present time as you fall outside of our underwriting criteria. This may be for a number of reasons"
    or similar.

Not due for reneal for another month, but altering the dates to within the 21 days period for a quote.
    Any ideas?

10. sully&Red

sully&Red
    Expand Collapse

Any claims or penalty points in the quote

11. Mico

Mico
    Expand Collapse

Nope none. All clean. I got a quote with allianz and its about 700. Nearly 300 up on 2 years ago. Was hoping around 500 mark

12. sully&Red

sully&Red
    Expand Collapse

Have friends in the insurance game and nearly everyone's premium has gone since the collapse of that insurance company a year or so ago. The insurance fund paid for it and it needs to bulk back up again ie. We pay for it.

Mico likes this.
  13. Mico

Mico
    Expand Collapse

This will be second year in a row it has gone up.

14. MR KING KENNY

MR KING KENNY
    Expand Collapse

Liberty gave me the best quote. If you pay for the year upfront they'll knock around €100 off

Mico likes this.
  15. Stevie S

Stevie S
    Expand Collapse

Post Insurance gave me the best by a mile last month. Was even cheaper than last year with Chill

Mico likes this.
  16. diceyreilly

diceyreilly
    Expand Collapse

Who ever you are with always try do a quote with that company online.
    It usually comes in cheaper and they will match it. But make sure the cover is the same as what you have/want.
    If you have a Mrs with a licence name her on the policy it's always cheaper to add them.
    If you don't have a missus name a friend and say it's your missus, it's probably the biggest discount on the policy.
    Remove any cover you don't need? Eg if you have aa or the garage u bought the car of gives you warrenty. Remove the motor rescue.
    If you don't need Comp cover change it to 3rd party fire and theft or 3rd party only.
    If the car is worth 1500 or less. As you prob wouldn't end up claiming anyway as you would have to pay an excess and lose your no claim bonus so would cost u more to claim.

If your car is worth more than that up your excess a bit. You only pay excess for damage you do to your own car. There's no excess for fire theft or 3rd party claims.

Remove any shite like legal expenses if you have it. No one ever claims off it.

Try not pay direct debit if you can.
    It's often cheaper to get a credit union loan and pay them back over 12 months. But check the interest rate with the insurance company 1st.

One place may quote you 500 and another 550. The 550 could end up costing you less if there's no interest in the direct debit. Some insurance company's might let you off without paying interest if you ask.

Garrett likes this.
  17. Horan01

Horan01
    Expand Collapse

Spent the morning online and ringing insurance companies for private car insurance quotes. I got my annual renewal from Allianz yesterday €691, up €100 again on last year, which in turn was up €200 from the year previous. Crazy stuff. The car I'm trying to insure is 2000 and I know that a lot of insurance companies are refusing to take on cars more than 15 years old. Has anyone renewed insurance recently on a 15 + year old car and found good value through a broker or online?

18. Garrett

Garrett
    Expand Collapse

Hi mate,

I'd say the age of the car might be a factor alright, but it shouldn't rule you in or out imho.

Out of interest, have you tried CoverU.ie (they are essentially the broker for the Credit Union movement - have heard they are getting some good deals through, but no idea of the details for individual drivers etc.) ?

Horan01 likes this.
  19. Dzer2

Dzer2
    Expand Collapse

Have a 15 yr old one here have it insured with BOI TP,F&T for 385 for the yr.

Horan01 likes this.
  20. Horan01

Horan01
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys, I'll try both